Speeding yacht rams anglers' boat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/24/speeding-yacht-rams-anglers.html

4 Likes

Blimey, the rammer couldn’t have done a better job if they tried… unless this was on purpose?

13 Likes

It’s easy to grin/when your ship comes in…

[I hope no-one was seriously injured. Those people barely abandoned the boat in time]

16 Likes

Big Boat - 1

Little Boat - 0

5 Likes

I just spent time boating on a large lake and am very surprised this doesn’t happen more often.

Thank goodness it doesn’t.

8 Likes

Laminar flow at 1:08

6 Likes

I wonder how much in damages the yacht owner is going to sue for.

12 Likes

holy cow, that boat was going fast. hope no body was hurt.

3 Likes

Why is this published on “Amazing world of India”?

1 Like

I know, and they weren’t wearing life vests, either. Very scary.

ETA: It appears the woman was wearing some kind of PFD.

7 Likes

Gross negligence on the part of the yacht’s pilot, but some negligence on the part of the anglers as well - they should have a very loud whistle for use in such situations. Shouting “hey!” does NOT carry across the water.

A Fox 40 can do 118 db, and there are a couple whistles out there even louder, and none of them are very expensive.

I’ve only had to use mine once, in the 13 years I’ve been steering dragon boats, to get the attention of a speedboat coming our way, but it would have been Very Bad if I didn’t have the whistle.

5 Likes

These work great!

SX425

But, you have to decide whether to save your own ass or forage for the horn.

Lesson: Keep a horn handy.

11 Likes

They probably had one. But with just a few seconds between the time they noticed the other craft and the collision they didn’t have time to dig it out.

17 Likes

Yeah, even better. I like my whistle because it’s always right there, attached to my PFD, but an air horn would carry farther.

5 Likes

A salmon fisherman who abandoned ship by leaping into the frigid waters of the Columbia River last summer – an instant before another motorboat crashed into his – has filed a $372,500 lawsuit against the other driver.

Clatsop County sheriff’s deputies accused boat driver Marlin Lee Larsen of several crimes after the 75-year-old told investigators he couldn’t see where he was driving because he was sitting down and the dash of his boat was blocking his view. Larsen said he probably should have been standing, according to the sheriff’s report, which notes Larsen uses a motorized scooter to get around on land.

12 Likes

Haven’t we had enough metaphors for BoJo?

5 Likes

I don’t think I have ever seen a finer illustrative example of Capitalism.

#workingasintended

13 Likes

Larsen, a Roseburg resident, told The Oregonian/OregonLive by phone Friday that he wasn’t using his cellphone while driving his Bayliner and referred to such allegations as “fake news.”

Oh dear.

20 Likes

This? This is why sailors tend to dislike powerboaters. All it takes to make a stinkpot go is a key.

14 Likes

Larsen also said a lawsuit seemed unnecessary because the people in the Weldcraft weren’t hurt badly.

Um, define “badly” you twat. Also:

The suit was filed by Bryan Maess, 47, an off-duty Hermiston police officer fishing with a law-enforcement co-worker, Christopher McMahon, 46

So one time a LEO’s camera doesn’t malfunction or gets turned off?

11 Likes