Speeding yacht rams anglers' boat

Fishermen hate them too. Had my lines cut many times because they blaze through the endge of the river (not the middle) at 45mph without paying attention.

Eventually they are going to wreck their boat or have their cheek ripped off by a hook.

Lots of stories of intentional line cutting as well.

13 Likes

Ol’ Marlin managed to avoid conviction.

11 Likes

Hey, we could go all Steve Bannon and snag his cell phone records!

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t put any blame on the anglers. You’re piloting the bigger boat, you’re the dangerous thing on the water–keep your eyes open. I hope nobody was hurt.

17 Likes

There might be civil lawsuits against his estate.

5 Likes

Viral-video ganking channels are hot in India. In an amazing coincidence, I have some interesting news on that front coming up soon.

13 Likes

They can still sue his estate in a civil suit so there’s that. Not sure if they’d be inclined to do so but i would considering the boat got wrecked and they almost died.

6 Likes

That’s a little misleading. The article says this:

Of course, that doesn’t make him any less of a Trumpian douchebag.

5 Likes

He owned the Harborview Resort in Hammond and also had property in Roseburg.

Darn well should be.

4 Likes

There seem to be an awful lot of these channels (and they could be from anywhere) that basically rip stuff from elsewhere without credit. Sort of like an miniature versions of ebaumsworld, in a manner of speaking.

2 Likes

It’s basically what a big chunk of Youtube is. “Lofi chill / study beats” is people just ripping music from soundcloud and streaming it while begging for tips. Lots of compilation videos which obviously have the watermarks fuzzed out, or sometimes not because who cares?

Lots of people who contribute nothing, just compile other people’s work.

Real life is like that too, on the margins of business and society. The late night advertisements for compilation albums, “The Sounds of the 70’s”, “Kid Songs”, etc. The internet has made the barrier to entry lower for this sort of behavior is all (but also reduced the paycheck).

4 Likes

Because of course he would. It’s the world we live in now. I’m so tired of that phrase, but even more tired of everything that has led us to that Trumped-up phrase.

7 Likes

Someone needs to write the next volume of this book:

Potential titles:

How to Avoid Hitting Boats
How to Avoid Getting Killed by Huge or Even Very Large Ships
How to Avoid Getting Rammed by Speeding Late Stage Capitalist Shitheads

etc.

I am continually surprised at the very low threshold of requirements for large boat, private (not for hire aka “noncommercial”) pleasure craft, ownership and operation in the U.S.

https://www.yachtforums.com/threads/need-for-license-to-pilot-a-58-yacht.11466/

“Should get a license” is not “must have a license” … ye gods.

Basically, if you have the money and can buy the watercraft, you can be captain of your own ship. Maybe some states have “mandatory boater education hours” but nothing close to the rigors of getting a driver’s license. Texas (my state) has an education requirement. That’s all.

http://www.americasboatingcourse.com/lawsbystate.cfm?lid=11

Minimal to no instruction, depending on which state you register your craft in.

I married into a boating family that is cautious and follows rules. My FIL’s voice is already in my head, explaining why assholes are ruining boating for the rest of us.

ETA: typo, again :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

why not? same age and apparent sense of privelege as the originator of the phrase. it works for anything!

2 Likes

And in Pennsylvania, when driving on a country road at night, you must stop every mile and set off flares or other warning signals and then allow 10 minutes for livestock to clear the road.

3 Likes

There speaks (spoke, since he’s since deceased?) a proud MAGAT, I’m sure. If for no other reason (but oh, are there plenty!) the introduction of using “fake news” for everything the describer doesn’t like by 45* would be enough to deserve my dislike.

1 Like

You could call it …

fake news!

9 Likes

Wow, that’s terrifying. I think people get complacent because usually the water is pretty free of obstacles. I mean, you can let kids drive a boat and not worry about hitting something (with supervision, of course.)

1 Like

You’ve got to be kidding right? Marine rules of the road give them complete right-of-way, as they were fishing in a stationary position. Operating in daylight, they had zero responsibility. In addition, the fishermen had perhaps five (!) seconds in which to act, during which they were wise to keep their eyes on the threat racing toward them. The one fisherman did the right thing by standing on the transom and waving his arms to be more visible. Think again.

17 Likes