What happens to nearby streams and rivers when a tanker passes too quickly

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/16/what-happens-to-nearby-streams.html

7 Likes

I have seen this video before, though I forget how it came to my attention.

Glad to hear some positive changes were made because of it.

8 Likes

Okay, how about a thousand-footer with hydrofoils. No displacement, no problem, right?

4 Likes

…and the issues shown in this video have since subsided.

Get it? Subsided?

7 Likes

They should really put up a

“SLOW
NO WAKE”

sign.

10 Likes

‘…giant tidal wave…’

2 Likes

Why aren’t those houses on stilts or ziggurats or something?

I’d never build a house foundation that close to the waterline on totally flat ground. Seems reckless and foolish.

5 Likes

So I have no experience with boats of any kind, but ti was my understanding that you are always responsible for damage cause by your own wake or displacement, yes?

1 Like

I have a complaint…could you please for the love of god shield the mic from the wind!!!

2 Likes

Does all that wake mean the stream got woke?

5 Likes

Regardless of how much the stream is waked, it will never get out of its bed.

8 Likes

Seriously, people need to build more responsibly.

1 Like

Don’t you understand free markets?..

1 Like

Having never experienced one, probably not. :wink: I get your point though!

1 Like

The surge isn’t a matter of displacement so much as it is a bow wave. Those vessels have a bulb shaped projection extending forward of the bow, below the waterline. At their best cruising speed it sets up a wave train so the boat is sliding downhill the whole way, saving fuel. Given that the best cruising speed is about 15 knots, there is a solid temptation to exceed the speed limits. Interestingly, the surge does not lay back in a V from the bow in the usual way, but extends directly abeam from the bow.

Every vessel is responsible for damage from its wake. Damage needs a cost asigned and a source proven. Much easier to show an isolated wake shook someone off a masthead than having a property diminshed a tablespoon at a time over the course of years.

6 Likes

besides the wake issue, it looks like a lovely place to live.

You could say the captain was knoty.

levi will come and levi’s will go

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.