Couple sells everything for adventure life on sailboat, and it sinks after two days

No, that’s a complete misreading, although a very common one.

The important thing to grok is that everyone is subject to the Dunning-Kruger effect. This means me and you too.

It has nothing to do with how “dumb” or “smart” you are. You are subject to the effect regardless.

10 Likes

It could be. Or it could just be an example of the hubris of youth.

2 Likes

But what if I’m really good at understanding the Dunning-Kruger effect?

9 Likes

According to Dunning and Kruger, if you are smart and understand the effect, you will only have a very teentsy tiny advantage for resisting it in yourself, but you’ll gain a huge advantage of understanding other people’s behavior.

5 Likes

I gathered as much. I pretty much have the hang of this. Time to go out and help others become better humans.

3 Likes

Having read the first paragraph of the Wikipedia entry, I totally get the Dunning–Kruger effect.

14 Likes

Huh. Can one fly there and then just buy a boat? Asking for a friend.

Or even just buying an RV without learning to drive first.

4 Likes

They were only in their 20s, and already tired of the rat race? Seems like they have a very low tolerance for rat racing. When I was in my 20s, I couldn’t wait to get out there and experience life.

8 Likes

At least they didn’t take small children with them, as was the case with these dopes:

Sooner or later, every serious sailor I know starts a story with “And then there was the time we almost died…!”

10 Likes

So, they neglected to purchase insurance for the boat they had put everything in their whole lives into? Not a smart move there.

Also, when the buoys are on the wrong side, or look funny (like the ones for special obstacles) you are supposed to avoid them, not continue towards them. You’re going the wrong way in a channel, or headed for an obstacle. And, coming into harbor after dark isn’t a great idea either.

6 Likes

While certainly a downer, kudos to them for not giving up.

On the subject of selling everything and bailing out, I’ve been following the adventures of this couple from Toronto for the past few years. Being a rider myself, I’m not ashamed to admit I’m just a tad bit envious of how much they seem to be enjoying it all.

2 Likes

Arguably, that’s what killed JFK Junior. As an inexperience pilot, he convinced himself that he would be okay flying into bad weather. VFR into IFR conditions is the epitaph of many pilots. (Visual Flight Rules) into (Instrument Flight Rules) conditions = planning on being able to see the sky and ground, and then flying into conditions where one can not, thus requiring training in how to fly by looking at the instruments alone, a much more difficult and involved skill.
edited to add. The term is actually VFR into IMC (instrument meteorological conditions). Apparently, I don’t know as much as I thought I did. Understanding VFR Into IMC Accidents - Plane & Pilot Magazine

3 Likes

If only piloting offered do-overs – Like the NYS bar exam.

I seem to remember that there is a term for this bias, but I’ll acknowledge my own inability to recall it.

This is all the more of a downer. It shows how little they’ve learned from their experience.

1 Like

I rented a midsize RV once, and when I went to pick it up the rental place upgraded me to so something 35 feet long that slept 8. All the normal sized ones were out.

I brought it back a week later with all the mirrors and panels intact, and with several new gray hairs on my head.

5 Likes

but it’s infinitely more experience than they had when they started.

1 Like

That’s why I’m getting a self driving travel trailer.

1 Like

There are dozens if not hundreds of youtubers out there who are broadcasting their life-on-the-sea, and it attracting people who are maybe not quite prepared. The trick is that they generally need an approachable man who likes to talk, a model-hot woman (talking is optional but a benefit), and a drone you are willing to lose in the drink. Big hitters are la vagabonde and delos, but there are hundreds of them out there. Many of them have lost their boats or retreated back to land temporarily or permanently. Not always sinking, but sometimes a motor goes or something. I’ve been saying for a while that someone is going to die out there and all we will see is comments from followers about ‘when is your next update’.

1 Like