Crack in apartment ceiling turns out to be a problem after all

[Read the post]

1 Like

I wonder what prompted her to start filming at the moment right before the collapse.

I just fixed a bunch of sagging plaster in my home. It involves drilling holes, injecting construction adhesive, screwing in plaster washers to hold the plaster in place until the glue sets, then some new plaster to clean up.

7 Likes

I wish her the best of luck dealing with the mess and hope nobody was injured or exposed to asbestos by the dust.

4 Likes

Probably a bunch of creaking and cracking noises.

At least it was just the plaster that collapsed, and not the ceiling joists holding up the apartment above.

16 Likes

Still better than my college apartment. There was a dirty litter box in the bathroom for 7 months. We didn’t have a cat.

7 Likes

“are you fucking kidding me?”

Apparently, the answer to that is NO.

15 Likes

Cracks in the corners and walls can be fairly innocuous but if i saw a crack right on the ceiling i’d have it checked out for sure

1 Like

Yeah it depends. Asbestos is usually fine in homes so long as it isn’t agitated. The video isn’t 100% clear, but that sure looks like plaster, which did often contain asbestos. If the property is old enough to house plaster, there’s a good chance that lead paint was caked on, underneath the topcoat, as well. That’s potentially one very toxic cloud of dust.

Just a caveat to potential homebuyers…don’t fuck around with lead or asbestos, particularly if you have, or plan on having, children. Get it abated before you even move in. It’s a much, much bigger deal than it’s typically presented as.

2 Likes

That definitely looks to me like lathe & plaster. I’d never heard of asbestos being in plaster of that vintage - I thought the plaster used with that sort of finishing was just lime and sand, with animal hair for strength.

Lead paint I wouldn’t be surprised to find. That at least has the advantage that it settles out of the air pretty quickly.

(Edit - apparently there was an acoustic plaster that was used the way acoustic tiles in T-bar drop ceilings are nowadays, that did have asbestos fibers in it. That wouldn’t have been used in an apartment ceiling though)

6 Likes

I was expecting a hirsute man on a toilet or swarm of freshly hatched spiders to come falling out. She really got lucky on that one.

21 Likes

That may have been what I heard about, it was a long time ago. Plaster was on our list of things to look for, and double check, as far as potential asbestos contamination is concerned. Thanks for the refined information though.

From my understanding, though, the lead is much bigger problem, compared to the asbestos. Supposedly, asbestos is naturally occurring, albeit in small amounts.

1 Like

"In the past, asbestos fibers were frequently added to plaster mix. These fibers were added to improve the flame retardant properties of the material, as asbestos is extremely heat-resistant."

Also, if you happen to find vermiculite insulation in your home, there is a very high probability that it is contaminated with asbestos, so leave it alone.

1 Like

You beat me to it. For sure I was guessing a peeping tom.

1 Like

All too common, this problem is.

11 Likes

I had that same landlady.

1 Like

Should read “lath & plaster”. A lathe is a machine tool used to make cylindrical parts.

1 Like

that sure looks like plaster, which did often contain asbestos

I did a ton of research before renovating my 1910 house, and regular wall plaster almost never has asbestos in it.

don’t fuck around with lead or asbestos, particularly if you have, or plan on having, children. Get it abated before you even move in. It’s a much, much bigger deal than it’s typically presented as.

My research showed the opposite. Nearly everyone who developed an asbestos-related disease was someone who was chronically exposed, e.g. multiple years of extremely high exposure.

We did choose to have the asbestos I found in our house be professionally removed, but I felt a lot less worried about it after my research. I think a lot of the advice out there is more scaremongering than factual.

6 Likes

If you are ever around something like this, hold your breath, get out, and wait for the dust to settle. Save yourself from being sick for a few days (or more) .

2 Likes

Yes, I looked into buying a house with asbestos siding. That shit is the bomb. You just wrap it and stick other stuff over it. The problem is when it starts getting friable and you can inhale it. Actually, in this case maybe it WOULD be a problem.

Lead - you gotta eat it, which is to say, be a two year old.

1 Like

Paint chips are colorful and sweet tasting…

2 Likes