Roommates flee apartment after mushrooms sprout from the floor (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/01/mushrooms-grow-from-floor.html

2 Likes

9 Likes

I think my brain would just short circuit if I saw that growing out of the floorboards.

5 Likes

14 Likes

I remember walking past (actually out of now I think of it) a 19th C hospital and shrooms like these had torn the pavement up outside it. I mean I love crazy weird tasty mushrooms but it did make me think about how the largely undisturbed for two centuries site had mycelium running everywhere.

Also: last of us TV series is awesome!

5 Likes
8 Likes

7 Likes
7 Likes

From The Outer Limits OS (1963), episode “It Crawled Out of the Woodwork”: *A cleaning lady attempts to vacuum up what appears to be a *dust-bunny However, as soon as it is in the vacuum cleaner, it explodes into a bizarre energy cloud and kills her [and others].

4 Likes

Urban foraging- no extra charge.

10 Likes

The company vowed to raise the floorboards and inspect for moisture now that the property had been vacated.

I’ll save them the trouble. Shrooms will not grow without moisture. It’s a necessary precondition. Something under there is seriously ■■■■■.

6 Likes

Breathe deep of the spores!

1 Like

you want triffids? that’s how you get…

OR:

don’t eat the 'shrooms, man!

6 Likes

they will have to rip out the entire wodden floor, thats for sure.

3 Likes

So, if they find a body down there will they call the police or just scrape it out and replace the flooring?

1 Like
4 Likes

I live in Seattle and I have grown accustomed to fungi showing up everywhere. We found mushrooms growing in our car once.

2 Likes

For the love of all that is good and holy, is it really that hard to rotate your phone by 90°?

3 Likes

Buy a pig.

It’s a goddamn goldmine.

2 Likes

I know I shouldn’t but the yard reeeealllly tempted me last year. Working in the yard one day, there was the most delicious, earthy, mushroom aroma. It was like nothing I’ve ever smelled before, an absolutely delicious scent. There were some new mushrooms out, probably hickory boletes…but even if I could positively identify them (narrator: he couldn’t), the jury was out on whether they were edible…

And then at the very end of the season I got hundreds of what I was certain were edible puffballs…but not certain enough to eat them. They were puffballs after all, but by the time you can verify that, they have developed spores and are poisonous again.

…stupid delicious inedible things. But I draw a hard line at foraging mushrooms…

10 Likes