Credit card sized phone does nothing but phone calls

[Read the post]

Then it’s probably not the phone for you.

9 Likes

Look a bit like John’s Phone, but less bulky.

In my own dumbphone adventures I’ve found that simple GSM (2G) phones are not really supported anymore by the two US carriers (AT&T and T-Mobile) that operate GSM networks. AT&T sim cards crash the GSM phones I’ve tried, and T-Mobile’s 2G coverage is getting spotty.

3G dumbphones work fine.

3 Likes

This is a great idea. I like it.

2 Likes

I am imagining a wallet full of differently functioned devices. “This one is just for e-mail, and this one receives texts, but does not send them. Then this one will work as a regular credit card. My favorite is my Angry Birds card. See?”

12 Likes

That is a misleading title. From what I can see, it also tells the time.

32 Likes

12 Likes

I’d love that.
Give me this and a standalone Google Maps device and I’m good. And maybe an old school iPod, even better if it’s this skinny.

The one downside to the do-it-all smartphone is that it removes the likelihood that the superhero-style utility belt will ever be fashionable. I mean, sure, you can fill up the other pouches with mini Clif bars, water purification tablets, and condoms, but it’s just not the same.

14 Likes

You’ll need all the pouches for spare batteries.

10 Likes

I would super buy a device that only sent text messages. Nice keyboard, good UI, a mutable new message chime and that’s it.

I know there was someone making a single-purpose email device in the weird quiet of the post-Blackberry pre-iPhone years, but I think SMS has become the Only Messaging Protocol that I want on me.

1 Like

What about a satellite pager with an optionally powered-up cellular interface?

Keep it in pager mode. The cell network doesn’t know where you are. If you get a message, you have a choice of responding and telling the network your location, or staying silent.

4 Likes

That’s the next generation of litefone: it does nothing but tell the time.

8 Likes

Great idea for the older generation who don’t understand or are afraid of the smartphone. I would get one for my grandmom.

They’d likely prefer something bigger with big buttons.

This is probably best suited as an emergency phone for small kids.

2 Likes

I’d like a GSM phone that small that can also send and receive texts. I finally bit the bullet and upgraded to an iPhone 3 year before last. Now it’s all smashed up and I’ve never even downloaded an app for it. I would like something substantially less, that is just really good at the only two functions it’s responsible for.

1 Like

I sometimes miss the mid-late 90’s fashion trend of belt-line competitions. That is, who could put the most gadgets on their belts. Most seemed content with having a cell phone (post-brickphone) on one side and a pager on the other, holster-style. The heavy hitters could have had something like an iDen, both a regular and two-way pager, and a small microTac.

1 Like

You mean you can actually make phone calls on these things, how novel.

1 Like

If you’re wearing a super-hero style utility belt, you can leave out the condoms. You will not be needing them.

7 Likes

But … but … it still tracks you, right? … Right?

4 Likes