Creepy British school bans skirts and blouses

The article says the girls clothes will be similar to the boys uniform, not that they are requiring them to wear boy-cut clothes.

7 Likes

That eliminates the cost-cutting and simplicity-making argument, then. They’re still ordering and stocking two sets of clothes for two different sets of bodies.

They’re also still eliminating femininity by imposing a masculine identity on girls, and assuming male as the default. As I said earlier, skorts would solve this problem while still not being a male wardrobe.

2 Likes

You can’t roll skorts up by the waistband, they have a crotch just like shorts. It is physically impossible to do to them what some of the girls are doing to skirts.

2 Likes

How times change!

In about 1996 I did a week of “work experience” in a CofE primary school (I was 15 or 16). I was taken aback at the time that the school dress code for both teachers and pupils required that all females wore dresses or skirts. I had only worn trousers at my own school for quite some time.

I was lucky that I actually owned two dresses otherwise I don’t know what I would have done, since we couldn’t just afford extra clothes willy nilly.

I’m amused to see that we’ve gone from “only ‘female’ garb is suitably ladylike for females” to “only trousers stop females showing off their thighs” so quickly.

4 Likes

“skorts would solve this problem”

Except, really, there is no problem. So what if girls want to wear short skirts? How is that a problem? Does this make them bad at math, or not do their reading?

1 Like

Just to add fuel to the fire, I’ll point out that this battle has been going on for a long, long time. As long as there have been uniforms with skirts, there have been girls who shortened their skirts, just to be cool and push the boundaries. They’ve also been listening to that devil music and having impure thoughts.

The school authorities are simply playing their required role in the drama - stony-faced authority figures cracking down on those wild kids. This dance is older than I am.

9 Likes

Way back when I attended a British school that required uniforms (after the dinosaurs were mostly gone, but before the split of Neandertals from the Homo genus), the uniform was something like:

• shorts for boys my age, long trousers for older boys, and skirts for girls, all of which in black, dark blue, or dark grey
  • plain white button-up shirts for everyone, short or long sleeved
  • black leather shoes
  • probably something about the sweaters for cold weather
  • the school tie

It’s not like you lined up at the quartermaster’s office and were issued your uniform. All but the tie could be purchased at any department store. There were a few shops that carried the ties for the schools in town; they also carried clothes that would fit the bill for those schools, so it could be a one-stop shopping trip.

I imagine this school would have a similar sort of uniform - not “exactly this shirt, exactly these trousers.” You are allowed to wear clothes that fit you, and no single clothing line can be expected to carry clothes that fit every single body type.

(edited for formatting)

4 Likes

So what if girls want to wear short skirts? […] Does this make them bad at math, or not do their reading?

The girls? No. The boys in their classes on the other hand…

4 Likes

They’re also still eliminating femininity by imposing a masculine identity on girls, and assuming male as the default.

If the clothing is the only thing that lets you know if it’s a girl or a boy you’re talking to, I think it’s you who have the problem. That said, femininity is expressible in just about any clothing - jeans an a t-shirt is about as neutral as you can get, and I think most people will agree that women still look like women in them.

7 Likes

In my communist (u||dis)topia there will be mantatory nudity. Clothing with be abolished along with class and gender inequality.

3 Likes

. . and besides, a lady’s backside looks GREAT in pants!

Eight year olds, dude.

3 Likes

I really wonder how many boys at that school are “expressing their sexuality” with their clothing. Probably none, because these girls are absorbing the idea that the most important part about them is the ability to attract boys with their bodies. Boys are not taught the same thing. Also, it’s a school, not a dance club. They’re there to learn, not to “express their sexuality.”

5 Likes

These are children, not women.

2 Likes

Yeah, I don’t really buy the argument that short, short skirts= femininity, in fact it’s a little offensive. I’m very feminine in pants. I’m not “assuming a masculine identity” when I do so, and neither are the billions of women around the world who wear pants every day.

3 Likes

Don’t find it creepy at all. Maybe the headmaster understands that the media constantly teaches young women that their primary value is in their sexual attractiveness men, and you don’t. Girls in all-girls schools rarely wear clothing that is designed to bring the eye to their tits and ass, because there’s no need - there’s no boys there to gain approval from. They have to find self-worth through achievement.

2 Likes

The article doesn’t mention anything about cost cutting or simplicity in clothes ordering.

Skort is a ridiculous word.

1 Like

I think they’d be more likely to get behind a banana costume:

Just look at it.

4 Likes

I think the “creeper” part of this comes from the fact you are dealing with 9-13 year old girls. Obviously a lot of girls have started to develop by 13 (or 12, 11, 10) so there is some weird sexual tension thing there…

But a 9 year old. That’s still an age where a kid is a kid, where she could wear a bikini at the beach and no one (other than pedos) would see it as a sexual thing at all. Not saying people should be seeing a 13 year old in a bikini as a sexual thing, but things have progressed a lot since I was in high/middle school. And honestly if a 13 year old is wearing sexy panties or going commando you’ve got bigger problems than a short skirt.