Creepy British school bans skirts and blouses

They will be required to wear shirts, similar to the boys, instead.

Similar being a key word there. Just cause it looks similar doesn’t mean it can’t be cut for a woman’s body.

The Boing Boing Academy dress code is flexible. The banana costume is fine, but you can wear pretty much anything as long as you throw in some steampunk accessories, or just carry a ukulele with you at all times.

3 Likes

Damn! All I have are these somnambulant cats.

2 Likes

FWIW, I didn’t mean to suggest that the girls should be allowed to wear their skirts particularly short at school. A gangly young child should be able to wear a short skirt without issue, but as soon as the girl does it deliberately, playing at being adult before her time, I’d expect the school staff to react to it.

A CofE school banning skirts does still make my brain hurt though. It’s both almost progressive (girls in trousers!), and draconian at the same time.

The first time I read this I was genuinely imagining the boys in short skirts, and thinking of the ways it might distract them in class.

1 Like

The author hit the nail on the head. Just like Saudis who pop boners at 1 square inch of uncovered skin on a woman’s ankle, these “defenders” of the innocent are probably having a lot of naughty thoughts themselves, and the only way to justify it to themselves is in pretending that everybody and his brother is as perverted as they are.

That’s the one for kids only. The adult one is this:

I have a google image search for “banana penis” in my search history. Yup.

2 Likes

It makes the boys in school bad and math and not do their reading. :slight_smile:

So, their environment is completely devoid of all men, including teachers, non-teaching staff, people walking by? I seem to recall that female-only schools have some positive effects on the female students, but have Negative effects on the male students, who don’t learn how to communicate/work alongside females properly.

Schools are expected (by parents and society at large) to influence behaviour and set some standards, teenagers are basically programmed to at some level challenge authority and define their own identity in opposition to the powers that be. I don’t think there’s any real solution, just continued efforts to try and teach people what the standards are and what the problems might be if you go too far outside a society’s standards.

That said, we should also teach boys/men to not stare so much at females who are pretty/showing off/have actual external female physiology (we’re programmed to seek out attractive mates), and perhaps give a smile when you look at them. It helps give greater context to what you’re doing, away from “I see you only as a sex object” and towards “I think you’re pretty and would like to talk to you”

Good point, and I think I’ll pass that along to my teenage son. I’d like to be a grandparent some day, rather than the parent of a 30 year old hikikomori.

1 Like

Why neurr, bonny lad, that’s just the way waz terrk in nyoocassal, man. ‘Skort’. Yi knaa, what lasses wear and that.

It’s less ridiculous than ‘school uniform’ if you ask me.

You don’t have to be a pedophile to notice a girls underwear, or lack thereof, because her skirt’s too short.

I find it a lot creepier that an adult thinks it’s fine that minors go around exposing themselves.

1 Like

I taught in a Japanese high school. Some girls would wear brightly colored underwear and roll their skirts up practically all the way until they were basically just sitting in fuscia underwear in class. I never said anything because I didn’t want to even deal with it. But it’s not creepy for a school to want the girl students to wear clothing at a length that covers their underwear.

3 Likes

It’s a pretty complex issue. Age is a huge factor. I feel I have opposite feelings if it’s teens or little kids. I have little kids. It doesn’t take long sitting in the park watching them play on a climbing frame after school to see that light dresses and underwear are really unsuitable for a lot of what they do. They are basically working with shit equipment. It’s like someone has given them figure skates and told them to learn to skate (figure skates have no ankle support, bad beginner skates - but gendered female so here you go, fail!) I want my kids in jeans. The school makes them wear clothes based on business suits, like banker uniforms. So I do like uniforms for kids, but I’d like them to suit their activities.

However, I don’t like uniforms in high school. I didn’t have them growing up. Clothes and hair and music is what kids use to become themselves. And the most dangerous thing in the world today is cultivating respect for authority and uniforms. That’s what’s driving the silver gleaming death machine of neo-fuedal capitalism today.

. . .and you like eight year olds?

To learn what, exactly? School is where they will learn not just facts, but also about relationships, social dynamics, social values, where they will probably have their first crush (and second, and third…) and their relationship with authority, discipline, ethics… so yeah, it’s exactly the place where they will “express their sexuality” and discover themselves in relation to others.

1 Like

Meh… I remember a certain teacher doing “bra checks” on us with his hands. But I’m sure he was just trying to keep us focused on our lessons.

Why does she want to dress like that? And what would it mean if she did? What are you protecting her from?