Creepy-cool: Bat mask

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/13/creepy-cool-bat-mask.html

3 Likes

These look pretty cool. But $44 for a black mask with some diagonal cuts? Yikes.

5 Likes

Is it even safe? A strong breeze and those bat wings will be flapping in the breeze. Or is there a normal mask behind the wings?

2 Likes

Came here to say this. I’d pay $5 for one, or even up to $10 if I was going as Count Dracula again, but $44 must be targeting a different demographic than the one I exist in.

3 Likes

14 Likes
1 Like

The description on the order page says “handsewn”. Speaking as a retired professional seamstress and designer, looking at the photos, I think $44 is very reasonable for this product!

Only somewhat safe, I’d say. There is not a normal mask behind the wings. The disclaimer on the order page says “This is a fashion mask.” It could stop some droplets, presumably. One might think it could be used as a decorative cover for a practical mask, but it wouldn’t fully cover/hide a standard disposable pandemic mask. It would be great if they had added its own integrated inner, more form-fitting mask layer…but that’s a whole ‘nother design problem and added expense for what’s essentially a (very nice) novelty item and would more than double the price.

For what it is, I think it’s well-designed and well-executed. I do like it! Just not for pandemic assuredness.

5 Likes

So it’s a Nananananananana bat mask?

3 Likes

Cool, expert-level guidance. Thanks!!

3 Likes

I agree! And if I had $44 disposable income to buy something well made and cool-looking on a lark, then I’d probably get this. But alas, that’s not me

1 Like

I, for one, would look soooo stupid in this mask.
Maybe that would be a good thing?

1 Like

The nose notch means it either would ride too low to seal against the face or too high and block vision. Would work well as a mask cover.

While on the subject I was just out at a restaurant where masks are required when getting up to use the bathroom, and overheard someone offering to loan her mask to the friend who had forgotten hers. Ewwww.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.