Anyone can make Tora Smart's DIY no-sew face mask

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/03/anyone-can-make-tora-smarts.html

6 Likes

I’m going full Bunny Suit when I’m out.

11 Likes

I’m kind of confused about the specifications for face masks. Is there a thread count? A specific type of fabric? What makes them safe, and what makes them useless? How does TP help?

ETA:
I found this article that helps, but it basically comes down to nobody knows. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/masks-diy-coronavirus/2020/04/01/20830f5e-7420-11ea-85cb-8670579b863d_story.html

The mask should reach above the bridge of the nose and below the chin. Fit is important. A mask should be snug. A fabric tie might work better than an elastic band. And if a mask is going to be reused, it must be kept clean. Layers add additional protection, so three-ply is good, as is including a small pocket or pouch, into which an additional filter can be inserted.

When selecting material, a trade-off must be made between filtration efficiency and breathability. Vacuum bags are highly effective filters, according to a document put out by the Stanford Anesthetics Informatics and Media Lab, but may not be a good choice because of the effort required to breathe through them. Paper towels and wet wipes are too porous and are of little use.

Many DIY mask tutorials, including those from medical centers across the nation, recommend using cotton and cotton blends to make masks. MacIntyre’s concern with cloth is that it retains moisture and provides an ideal breeding ground for bacteria.

10 Likes

Just to complete that quote from the epidemiologist, MacIntyre says therefore it’s important to wash your mask every day. Also, be careful not to touch the outside of the mask, & be sure to wash your hands after you take it off.

5 Likes

Unfortunately requires toilet paper, which has all been bought up by idiots.

4 Likes

tenor (11)

6 Likes

I made a couple of these with t-shirt and used kleenex as the insert. They have 3 layers of cotton shirt plus at least a double layer of tissue. Better than nothing and only takes a couple of minutes to make. I’ve sprayed them with Lysol cleaner after removing and then washed them in hot soapy water. Dry flat.
ETA: I only go out when absolutely necessary (I’m in Florida).

8 Likes

I have an “American Idiot” rock T-shirt that I have never had the balls to wear. I am clueless as to what it articulates. But wouldn’t it make a snappy face mask?

I’ll send it to whomever wants it. Not all of you, one of you. When I get around to it. I’ll soak it in isopropyl first.

Fine print: This is not performance art. Although it’s kinda shaping up that way.

6 Likes

I totally read that wrong and thought, “this toilet paper shortage is getting real if people are having to rely on used Kleenex…”

5 Likes

I just made one following her instructions. It fits pretty snug, but I’m concerned that it doesn’t cover enough of my nose and chin. Plus, like any mask, it’s going to suck with glasses. My next attempt will be to make it around an inch larger on both sides. It should be okay for my next grocery trip though.

14 Likes

Between the glasses and the facial hair, you’re doomed. May as well scarf up like an anarchist.

7 Likes

I’m considering ditching the beard and mustache. I may even start shaving my head again, since going to a barbershop is probably a couple months away.

8 Likes

I’ve been sporting my wife’s “ladies of science” facemasks for a few days now.

My daughter prefers surgical chic.

19 Likes

I made one following the instructions, and I’m reminded why I don’t really do finish work :slight_smile: I think it’s too tight and blows exhale right into my glasses, fogging them up. I need to either wear contact lenses or re-cut a new one, perhaps both!

3 Likes

I was picturing Ralphie in A Christmas Story.

But yes, it’s not a “bunny suit” without ears and built in feet.

2 Likes

Ew. 

2 Likes

Slate has some links to patterns and instructions;

and in particular, this one seems to be very easy, and is more than the recommended two layers thick;

The Japanese one may also allow for additional filtering material to be inserted, and here’s a something that occurred to me this morning; one of the the filtering fibres in N95 masks is electrostatic, to further trap any particles/viruses/etc, and swiffer cloths (I’d go for the unscented ones!), are electrostatic … could they be used as an additional filter material? With anything, I’m concerned about exposure to chemicals though.

5 Likes

Très chic!

@NukeML Has your daughter started to laugh, “MWAHAHAHAHA!” I think she’s got the Mad Scientist look down pat.

@dfaris Better than used toilet paper, I guess.

I don’t like the idea of butchering a t-shirt; so I was contemplating going for the full Pulp Villain face covering; just pulling a second t-shirt over my face.

11 Likes

It would be nice to have the bonus light saber to help enforce the social distancing rules, too.

6 Likes

tumblr_ntcsugn7O01rsxqqio1_250

9 Likes