"Cringe-worthy" is cringe-worthy, makes 2024 banished words list

Thank for the use of “cromulent.” Around these here parts, it’s downright iconic.

Video Games Ok GIF

3 Likes

People are over using cringe to just mean “things they don’t like”.

Glad to see the 90s are back with Hack.

Hacking Johnny Lee Miller GIF

1 Like

yeah yeah we know seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Jinkx Monsoon Cringe GIF by BuzzFeed

:wink:

2 Likes

I’m very glad that cromulent didn’t make their banned words list. It would have been quite cringe worthy for it to have been dissed so soon after finally being added to the dictionary.

4 Likes

Cromulent is our word… they can’t have it… from my cold dead hands…

10 Likes

It embiggens me to hear that.

6 Likes

This list is totally the rizz. I’m getting cheugy with it.

Why yes, I am now of an age where I’ve reached my “don’t know, don’t want to know” era of my understanding of popular slang, why do you ask? Also, I find everything is funnier if I don’t understand any current slang terms.

2 Likes

Now you’re on the trolley!

2 Likes

And they had the nerve to do this (emphasis mine),

:thinking:

5 Likes

Pants Sucks GIF by maddyshine

3 Likes

Is “burn my britches” one of them? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I think the whole cringe-worthy just reminds me of:

2 Likes

Wiktionary lists a couple hundred “-worthy” words (mostly without hyphens).

Interesting that fapworthy and vomworthy are on this list but not punchworthy, as in “Most Nazis are punchworthy.”

2 Likes

So many nominees; my current peeves include “creepy” (ridiculously overused) and “uncanny valley” (rarely used correctly). But what really gets my shoulders up around my ears are “Not gonna lie…” (I didn’t assume you were, and how do I know you’re not anyway) and “pod,” as in “Subscribe to the pod!” Blechh. It’s not a fucking “pod.” It’s either a “podcast” or an “episode.” “Broadcasts” aren’t “broads.” The “pod” is on my side, the “cast” is on yours. I can’t subscribe to my own thing.

LSSU, help me out over here.

5 Likes

Am I permitted to yeet ‘pivot’ into the next decade? It got beaten to death during COVID and was constantly used where I work to mean 'We don’t know what’s going to happen next or how soon, so we have to be ready to change instantly."

8 Likes

I don’t get this one. It seems to be exclusively used before stating an opinion. I mean, yeah…obviously. Why would you lie about your opinion about whatever? Are you saying you’re “authentic?” Maybe just be authentic instead of stating it, then. I feel like there must be a point to the phrase that I’m missing.

3 Likes

I hear it like Honestly, [or] To tell the truth,

Which yeah, both make me think, So you were lying just now?

But then, people do sometimes say I’m too literal. :person_shrugging:

8 Likes

For those not into the whole brevity thing. I guess it’s just a matter of preference, then. I honestly can’t say that I don’t preface a statement with “honestly” from time-to-time. And I use it just like I was complaining about above. Honestly, sometimes I wonder about me. Thank you for the clarity!

1 Like

You’re welcome!

Wipe Master Chief GIF by Xbox

Oops, being too literal again. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes
  • At the end of the day — “The phrase is often employed as a rhetorical device that attempts to encapsulate the complexities of a situation summarily, lacking nuance and depth.”

When all is said and done, should we also then ban “When all is said and done”?

1 Like