"Cringe-worthy" is cringe-worthy, makes 2024 banished words list

Originally published at: "Cringe-worthy" is cringe-worthy, makes 2024 banished words list - Boing Boing

5 Likes
  • Impact — “Especially as a verb, why use this word when we have a perfectly good word that makes more sense: ‘affect?’”

Because most people can never remember if it’s ‘affect’ or ‘effect’ - and the ones who do got tired of getting flack for pointing out when people used the wrong one.

6 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

6 Likes
2 Likes

From the rarified world of sports analysis the recent abundant use of the term “physicality” could be happily ‘banished’.

1 Like

Me, seeing several phrases in a list of banished words

Stressed Out Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

8 Likes

People have been complaining about this use of “impact” for at least 30 years. It’s absolutely here to stay, and probably should be listed as the #1 definition for both the noun and verb, at least in American English. OED has the first usage in 1817.

Steven Pinker is cringe-worthy…

5 Likes

now, don’t be obsessed. it could impact you at the end of the day.
instead, try this one iconic hack.
wait for it…

1 Like

Hacking Old Lady GIF by Offline Granny!

4 Likes
2 Likes

if the list only included “Cringe” and “Hack” i’d be happy. both of those drive me up a wall.

5 Likes

Kim Kardashian Eww GIF by Saturday Night Live

5 Likes

Can we level up this list by circling back to “cringe-worthy”? And changing it to “cringe”?

(Guess which two overused and overbaked phrases burn my britches.)

5 Likes

People complaining (not you, this is generalized, non-directional grumbling) about how something is “cringe” never seem to realize that the cringing is their reaction. It’s their weakness, and not anything about the thing they are complaining about.

2 Likes

Thats Cringe GIF

3 Likes

juice cringe GIF by Lizzo

( So is this. :laughing: )

4 Likes

Glad to see “Iconic” here. It’s a perfectly cromulent word, but overused to the point of meaning “something I like”.

3 Likes

paris hilton GIF by Kim Petras

5 Likes

Thank U Reaction GIF by Chris Gethard

2 Likes