CRISPR twins who had their genes edited also had their brains altered to make them smarter, scientists believe

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/21/crispr-twins-who-had-their-gen.html

8 Likes

What’s the most insidious outcome? That they end up as better people, as worse people, or one is better and the other worse?

4 Likes

I kinda was hoping we could skip the ‘genetically altered super-humans commit genocide’ step on our path to the Star Trek future. :sleepy:

51 Likes

More than likely it could be something along the lines of causing an unexpected birth defect. Genes often affect more than one thing–or an expression might derive from a group of genes. Messing with one can often effect something else, unintentionally.

22 Likes

2u9ntb

15 Likes

We know where genetic mods lead…

jZc5CD1

17 Likes

I hope it works out well for those kids, but they’ll probably be studied in detail and they didn’t ask to be lab rats.

44 Likes

Well, if movies have taught me anything, it’s that messing about with DNA results in Clever Girls.

22 Likes

Other than an unexpected defect that appears later in life, the most insidious problem would be if this technique worked and worked well enough that other parents would pay millions for their children to be genetically smarter than others. Other techniques could come along to make some children genetically stronger than others. How many millions would wealthy parents pay for that? I think you see where I’m going…

15 Likes

Here?

Maybe it’s a pre-requisite.

7 Likes

Geez, if Magneto couldn’t get it right what makes us think we mere Homo Sapiens could?

6 Likes

Funny, because Bashir himself was genetically modified it turned out…

bashir-please

15 Likes

I was hoping someone would get the double entendre there :smiley:

17 Likes

DS9 is my favorite Star Trek, so the one I obsessed over the most…

tng-riker-smile

Been here the whole time, my friend!

21 Likes

16 Likes

26 Likes

14 Likes

21 Likes

14 Likes

Dammit, that’s twice in two days!

17 Likes