Criterion Collection is the best of all the streamers if you love film

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/01/criterion-collection-is-the-best-of-all-the-streamers-if-you-love-film.html

4 Likes

I subscribe from time to time and right now and really enjoying it. Best if you fancy auteurs :wink:

1 Like

I subscribed to their mailing list to see what I’m missing as they don’t sell it here.

BFI player too. It’s excellent and cheap.

2 Likes

If you’re cheap like me, Kanopy has a lot of Criterion Collection films (maybe not all, I don’t know, but a lot) available free from your public library.

8 Likes

They certainly have a lot of the titles that Kino Lorber has recently poached from Criterion.

Criterion never released a bluray of Leon Morin, prêtre, Le Doulos, and Bob le Flambeur. The Criterion Bluray of L’année dernièrie à Marienbad is out of print.
The KL versions are on Kanopy,
Still, I only get 12 Kanopy credits (normally six films) per month with my library card.

Kanopy doesn’t have any extras either. Does the Criterion Channel?

1 Like

From my experience, they have things like interviews with directors, or they have actors and directors recommending films, etc. In other words, produced by Critereon rather than the extras you would see on a DVD. I don’t know that I’ve seen commentary overlaid on film, but maybe.

eta: OK I was way off on this. For instance, Girlfight has a commentary, the directory talking about it for 24 minutes and 21 minutes of two other creatives. Then it has storyboarding Girlfight. So yes, Critereon Channel has extras. Been streaming a few today.

3 Likes

Note that Criterion is $100/year (or $11/month), which is well worth it when compared to Netflix/Hulu/etc, as it doesn’t include commercials, and the default quality of the movies is high. However, it is not free.

In addition to Kanopy there is Hoopla, also available through the public library. They have very similar selections, which is handy when you run out of credits on one service.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.