Crowdfunding "In Search of Tomorrow," the ultimate 80s sci-fi film documentary

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/16/crowdfunding-in-search-of-to.html

7 Likes

Cool. I remember optimism.

2 Likes

Has anyone seen the first one they did?

As much as I love documentaries, I’m skeptical of one that is four hours long. I program a film festival and I get sent a lot of 30-minute stories in a 90-minute film.

7 Likes

3 Likes

I remember a lot of corporate dystopias–Outland, Aliens…

2 Likes

Yup. I think my comment reflects my mood rather than my memories.

1 Like
2 Likes

Have you seen Hotel Terminus? That was four hours that raced by. Or how about Shoah? Nine hours of an incredible accumulation of victims, witnesses, and participants; never showing a body and yet building up a massive indictment of the German destruction of the Jews. I’m totally up for a four hour film on this topic.

1 Like

Absolutely true. They could be genius filmmakers and end up putting together a compelling 4-hour film. Or it could just mean they can’t bring themselves to edit, which is a lot more common. Which is why I was wondering if anyone had seen their first 4-hour documentary. I’ll have to take a look at it.

5 Likes

I loved the 80s horror set they put together and backed this as soon as I heard about it. Here’s hoping it has an easier production journey than the horror one did.

1 Like

If you back this I believe at most levels you’ll get a digital download of “In Search of Darkness.” Mine is going to my daughter, or else I’d offer it to you.

It’s easy to watch in smaller time chunks if you don’t want to commit to 4 hours straight since there isn’t a plot thread to lose.

As for enjoying it, I was a teen in the 80s and I loved the genre, so I found it both fun and fascinating. I could have watched 4 more hours, easily.

That’s very kind. I’ll pick up the horror one and check it out. I’m a huge fan of both genres—I’ll watch almost anything that fits, with few exceptions.

Documentary is such a tough space—you often get so much great stuff and you want to use it all. And that leads to really unfocused, meandering results. But I will go into this with high hopes.

1 Like

Maybe they need to have concise editing as one of the stretch goals. The more money they raise, the shorter and better edited the documentary is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Who are the top two good guys in that poster, above and to the right of Flash Gordon? Can’t make them out…

ETA: I checked on the Kickstarter page too, and there’s more nice posters there - love the one with the ships:

2 Likes

TRON and The Last Starfighter?

1 Like

Bless your young eyes!
(You could probably bullseye a womp-rat, etc. etc. Sorry, I know it’s the wrong decade :-))

2 Likes

True. I felt In Search of Darkness was well edited and organized. If/when it meandered, I enjoyed the journey.

My only issue with it was they were overly optimistic about when it would be delivered. They ran into unexpected production problems and had to start over with a different company, and the physical product was delivered months past the planned ship date. But the digital link was delivered on time, so I didn’t mind it too much.

I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I did, and that I haven’t led you astray.

I’m expecting that. This was my 111th Kickstarter, including the ill-fated Dungeons and Dragons documentary from 8 years ago. I’ve only had a handful of projects that completely failed like that one, but late delivery is pretty much the norm.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.