Crowdfunding the Drinkable Book: a book of silver-doped water-filters for the developing world

[Permalink]

Ha ha. Do you know what weird trick can kill 99.99% of bacteria and viruses in water, is cheap, safe, and effective, and has been used for over 100 years in the West? You guessed it: chlorine bleach! Anything that raises awareness of the plight of the billions of people in our world without access to safe water is probably a good thing. But I’d suggest that you’ll make a bigger impact by donating to a nonprofit like PSI. They run awesome programs using targeted subsidies and “social marketing” to get health promoting products like small bottles of bleach (and condoms! and malaria-preventing mosquito nets!) into millions of poor households. Go ahead and google them; theirs is a fascinating story, and they do amazing work.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was thinking. Sorry to pile on hate but this is fucking stupid as it makes no mention of heavy metals, only bacteria. I sure as hell hope these things filter out heavy metals.

Most def a solution in search of a problem since a proper, cheap method of doing this already exists.

http://www.biosandfilter.org/biosandfilter/files/webfiles/BioSandFilter_Construction_Guidelines_180912.pdf

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.