Crypto mining operation found in crawl space of a Massachusetts high school

Originally published at: Crypto mining operation found in crawl space of a Massachusetts high school | Boing Boing

5 Likes

assistant to the facilities director

19 Likes

Ok, but why was the Coast Guard called in? Yes. It’s near the ocean. But wouldn’t some landcops have jurisdiction?

8 Likes

Perhaps, suspected pirate activity? Arrgh

24 Likes

Coast Guard is less likely to shoot anyone, probably.

9 Likes

was supposed to be arraigned today on charges of “fraudulent use of electricity and vandalizing a school,” but never showed up,

Shocked Futurama GIF

6 Likes

Of course you’re not shocked, they stole all the electricity

20 Likes

Nadeam Nahas, 39, was scheduled to be arraigned Thursday on charges of fraudulent use of electricity and vandalizing a school, but he did not show up and a judge issued a default warrant after rejecting a defense motion to reschedule, a spokesperson for the Norfolk district attorney’s office said.

YOU GAVE HIM A ONE-YEAR HEAD START!

Sad Champions League GIF by UEFA

6 Likes

Cohasset is also the place with that shitty murder of the wife of the under-house-arrest creep - you remember, the guy who looked up 'how to get rid of a dead body on his kid’s iPad? - and where Michael Kennedy was busted for hitting on the babysitter a few weeks before he skied into a tree.

Also where they filmed Witches of Eastwick

2 Likes

It’s almost as if they didn’t Kerala ᵗ about whether he just disappeared.

based on what crypto has done since then, this farm probably has profited about 7 dollars

2 Likes

I’m not sure what procedure was used to bring them in; but the CGIS Personnel Page makes it sound like an outfit with expertise that I’d not necessarily expect and random small town police force to have.

Probably easier to bring them in than it is to keep evidence legally admissible if they let the IT director go digging into them for information on who was operating them, how long, pointed to which wallets or pools, etc. if the local PD doesn’t have someone sufficient for that job.

Edit: I’m glad that they discovered this before the no-doubt-impeccable covert wiring and thermal management work ended up burning the place down. I can’t identify the exact type from the evidence table photo; but they look a lot like antminer units that will pull north of 1,500w a pop, so there was probably some dubious mains voltage rewiring going on to support all that, unless there happened to be an enormously overspecced and unused corner available.

7 dollars?

Better Off Dead Cash GIF by moodman

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.