Techy high schooler rickrolls his entire district, then helps secure its network

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/10/14/techy-high-schooler-rickrolls-his-entire-district-then-helps-secure-its-network.html

14 Likes

But good thing they waited until near the end of their senior year, or some functionary would take petty revenge.

26 Likes

A Win Win if I ever saw one.

14 Likes

Most schools have a “zero tolerance” policy for any kind of IT hijinks. That, along with the CFAA and the DMCA could have easily resulted in jail time for a senior prank.

The amount of work they put in was admirable, but holy crow they were lucky.

14 Likes

Sounds like the school district needs to replace the current person in charge of IT security and replace them with this guy, who seems to care more about it than the current individual.

4 Likes

I wonder if this is what Alaric and the Visigoths were intending when they sacked Rome? :wink:

“Ya’ll need to work on your senators, folks! There’s a security gap here a mile wide!”

2 Likes

I suspect if he weren’t being subjected to the stereotypes applied to Asian-American ‘model’ minorities, but were instead subjected to the stereotypes applied to some other minority groups, (both of which, to be clear, are racist, even if they have different impacts) the school district would have been happy to press charges and perpetuate the American tradition of the school-to-prison pipeline.

1 Like

There are only so many people in the world who will work school IT for ~$30K/year while being forced to deal with often incompetent and egotistical leadership. Fortunately, it looks like school leaders here dealt with the prank appropriately and with the levelheadedness required to turn it into a positive experience.

13 Likes

Really surprised the FBI didn’t pay a visit.

1 Like

This. Really glad to see that this is being taken in the nature it was intended, and the local SWAT team didn’t raid this kid’s house and haul him off in handcuffs.

^^ This. I was in IT for a school district for two years and this is exactly what it was like. I got out as fast as I could.

1 Like

All synchronized without any audible delay or echo!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.