Cryptocurrency (and related fuckery)

This will not end well.

6 Likes

What’s the difference between “carefully” throwing money away on a scam and “carelessly” throwing the same money away on the same scam :confused:

6 Likes
4 Likes

Well, that’s ironic. :slightly_frowning_face:

8 Likes

Liverpool is currently negotiating to have a crypto firm as their most visible sponsor:

Then there’s Dogecoin and Socios:

One of the more bizarre sponsorships in world sport is Watford’s sleeve sponsor Dogecoin. Other cryptocurrencies claim to have genuine uses beyond financial speculation but Dogecoin does not. The cryptocurrency token, represented by a Shiba Inu dog, was created as a joke in 2013 to poke fun at other cryptocurrencies. Since Watford announced the deal last August, the value of dogecoin has fallen by more than half.

The most prominent Premier League cryptocurrency sponsor is Socios, a “fan engagement” company that has sponsorship deals with six league clubs: Arsenal, Aston Villa, Crystal Palace, Everton, Leeds United and Manchester City.

Buying a Socios token gives the holder the right to vote on club matters, which are generally trivial things like what music players should walk out to or social media banners. There are also questions about how many fans buy Socios in an attempt to engage with their club and how many trade volatile virtual assets in an attempt to make money.

Socios insists that it exists for the benefit of fans rather than as a means of currency speculation. “These tokens are for fans,” a company spokesperson said.

Back to Loverpool, they’re also hawking some creepy NFTs:

I don’t know who came up with the rule that the ‘art’ behind NFTs needs to consist of bad cartoons.

2 Likes

Yes please!

2 Likes

Ugh, I see what I did there.

1 Like

In recent Binance news:

2 Likes
3 Likes

I like to annoy my football fan friends by saying we should nationalise it and put all the players on the civil service pay spine, but actually I’m serious. Now even more so.

4 Likes

Holy cow, this is pretty huge:

The Tl;dr is that due to some poorly thought-out code, 11,539.5 Ether worth $33,027,895.32 is now locked away and the AkuDreams NFT project can never withdraw or use it.

2 Likes

This doesn’t get brought up nearly often enough: if I knew that I would have zero legal recourse to ever retrieve my money from a bank account if I lost track of a complex password, I’d never deposit my money in that bank. But people have collectively lost billions in crypto due to lost passwords and screwups like this one.

5 Likes

Cross-post…

5 Likes

:notes:
A just machine to make big decisions
Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision

:notes:

And that, sadly, is where it all falls down. Again.

3 Likes

Hopefully they’ll get that too and give it to his victims, and that the transaction wasn’t as anonymous as they thought.

2 Likes

“By the time the virtual land deeds sold out, buyers paid a total of about $123 million just to execute their transactions on the Ethereum blockchain”

More proof that crypto is not a currency or really useful for anything other than scams/speculation. The transaction fees on the sale of these virtual deeds were up to twice the cost of the deed itself. Those promoting crypto are truly the dumbest people alive

ETA: apparently this was on $285 million in sales. So the transaction fees were equal to 43% of the value for the sales over all. To do nothing other than move crypto from one wallet to another. These are the people that complain about having to pay taxes :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

My Twitter timeline always has many ads, with damaged art, for the next big NFG NFT series wannabees.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Warren Buffett knows how to make money, probably better than anyone else living. It’s telling that he has absolutely no time for bitcoin and any of the related bullshit and vaporware.

2 Likes