Cryptocurrency (and related fuckery)

I like his attitude about gold as well. Investments (vs pure speculatory purchases) should be productive or useful in some way. Although I wish he would think of the wider implications of his theoretical example of buying Exxon-Mobil:

At least you can fondle physical gold, I guess…

4 Likes

If I had all the Bitcoin in the world, could I somehow put an end to people spending energy on it? Because that would for sure be worth $25, and I think I could probably make that up in free drinks. :thinking:

3 Likes
1 Like

Watch out for AI models regurgitating misplaced keys that unlock crypto wallets

Leaving your cryptocurrency wallet’s private key out on the public internet is not a good idea: anyone who finds this key can try to use it to drain the wallet of its funds.

And it’s not just people on the lookout for these keys: software bots instructed to scan the web for leaked private keys will pick them up soon enough. But there’s an added dimension you may not have thought of: the keys being vacuumed up into a dataset to train an AI model that later regurgitates the keys to strangers.

[…]

3 Likes
3 Likes

Don’t hate on cryptomining, hate the power stations, say Bitcoin super-fans

Big names in Bitcoin have defended cryptocurrency mining, issuing a jointly signed letter hitting back at US lawmakers who last month urged a government watchdog to probe the practice.

Twitter founder and Bitcoin champion Jack Dorsey, the CEO of Bitcoin-collecting MicroStrategy Michael Saylor, and others on Monday signed the letter [PDF] that is a point-by-point rebuttal to a memo [PDF] sent last month to America’s Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) by Representative Jared Huffman (D-CA) and a couple dozen other Democrats.

[…]

3 Likes

NFT Market Collapses Just As Square Enix Sells Tomb Raider To Bet Big On Blockchain

5 Likes

Always get in early and leave early on a grift.

4 Likes

Once again a company forgets that they could just do this a lot easier without a blockchain, since the own the entire process and ecosystem. The last paragraph of the article is very nice.

2 Likes
10 Likes

Um… first as tragedy, then as farce?

Season 5 Whatever GIF by Paramount+

4 Likes

More like $320 million, according to Fortune:

https://fortune.com/2022/05/02/bored-ape-yacht-club-yuga-labs-metaverse-land-ether-chaos/

Also,

About $158 million worth of Ether was permanently destroyed

Yet people are lining up for this tomfoolery

5 Likes

The destruction of the Etherium is something that is built into the system - a portion of the gas fee money is “burnt” to reduce the amount of ether in circulation. This is still dumb, but it is part of the system.

Cryptocurrency laundromat Blender shredded by US Treasury in sanctions first

The US Treasury has sanctioned cryptocurrency mixer Blender for its role in helping North Korea’s Lazarus Group launder stolen digital assets.

As a result, among other limitations, anyone in the United States or a US person can no longer do any business with Blender without special permission from the government.

[…]

5 Likes

Not legally has to be a never before used answer to “does it blend?”

6 Likes
2 Likes

ETA (the 2-posts-in-a-row limit strikes again):

3 Likes

No offense to the people living there, but the C.A.R. and El Salvador aren’t exactly esteemed as global innovators or thought leaders. But sure, maybe “it’s different this time” with crypto.
(just trying to help break your two post streak!)

Sure, what could go… oh.

Now, El Salvador’s conventional bonds due in 2032 yield 24%, a steep level that suggests markets perceive the debt to be high risk and are bracing for a default. Bloomberg data shows that yields on El Salvador’s conventional bonds have fallen further than every other nation except those of war-torn Ukraine.

3 Likes
4 Likes