Cryptocurrency (and related fuckery)

links to

7 Likes
10 Likes
9 Likes

Everything is always good for Bitcoin!

5 Likes

That article doesn’t pull any punches.

Bitcoin, like all cryptocurrencies, is a tricky system to funnel money from the poor to those who are already wealthy and influential. Most people lose money trading bitcoin, as a recent study made clear. But that doesn’t stop a lot of regular people from trying. And those same regular people are getting hurt financially, as crypto exchanges declare bankruptcy left and right.

Is any of this going to stop people from continuing to buy Bitcoin? Clearly not, as we’re seeing arguably the most powerful Bitcoin promoter in the world double down on his bad investment. Bukele is like the gambler who thinks he’s just one more hand away from the big score. But the house always wins, and the people of El Salvador will suffer while he’s gambling away the country’s future.

12 Likes

Yeah, Gizmodo wasn’t always so political, but the Trump Era really seems to have pushed them to the point where they just have no more fucks to give. The comments section is always a feeding frenzy, too.

10 Likes

Additional info, links:

8 Likes
9 Likes

FTX Didn’t Keep Track of Who Its Employees Were

5 Likes

I worked for FTX, I think?

7 Likes

Oh yeah same, they owe me back pay too. How do we sue!?

If I understand correctly they were mostly romantically entangled people with nebulous social boundaries so it’s quite likely some of them don’t know whether they were employees, roommates, or lovers.

8 Likes

"Repeated attempts to locate certain presumed employees to confirm their status have been unsuccessful to date.”

Depending on the business that sentence could mean very different things for the presumed employees…

5 Likes

5 Likes
9 Likes

TrueAnon Episode 254: Moneyball II

We call the Bahamas and talk FTX, Sam Bankman-Fried, BIG DOLLAR DONATIONS, polycules and plenty of clues in the aftermath of the latest crypto scam explosion.

1. They are never as brilliant as their press claims

2. Nobody pays attention to fundamentals when they are making money

3. The time lag between boom and bust with bubbles allows those most responsible to be insulated from the consequences of their actions

4. Peer pressure

5. Passing the toxic investment onto others by either bundling it as allegedly safe securites/ETFs or marketing it to the unsuspecting public.

4 Likes

https://pluralistic.net/2022/11/15/public-immutable-crimes/#andy-greenberg

4 Likes

Remember that viral clip of a twitch streamer who almost set his room on fire with a bootleg Pikachu firework and his mom completely freaked out about it?

Well he recently did that to a very poorly thought out crypto scam on stream :rofl:

3 Likes

leslie-nielsen-nothing-to-see-here

9 Likes

“If people knew that we lost all their money we are concerned we might not be very secure”

10 Likes