Cryptocurrency (and related fuckery)

Even if they’re not a house of cards (like all the other ones), and have reserves not based on burning ecoins (like all the other ones), they’re about to be stress-tested by a major run of withdrawals.

7 Likes
8 Likes

Accurate.

Even more succinct summation would be “There’s No Use for NFTs.”

6 Likes

Well, some people have definitely found NFTs useful for separating rubes from their money.

5 Likes

(like all the other ones)

3 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Unsurprising. Cryptocurrency “investors” are a self-selected group of gullible people with money: an obvious target for any enterprising scammer!

4 Likes

What? No. Genius-level independent thinkers! Some of them told me so themselves, so it must be true.

5 Likes

I don’t know if I would use the word “money,” but they got something all right.

4 Likes

Alt-right.

3 Likes

True. Let me amend that - they’re gullible people who, at least at one point in the past, had money!

4 Likes

I find this framing problematic – not because I don’t think SBF conned people, but because it wrongly suggests that there’s some foundational core of crypto that’s not a con.

To be sure, there are a lot of honest, earnest, and sadly credulous investors who have gotten bitten in the FTX shitshow. But there’s really only two (not necessarily mutually-exclusive) categories of investors in the “crypto world”: people trying to pull a con, and marks.

8 Likes
6 Likes
3 Likes

I could see myself going for a Crono or maybe even a Spire, but neither would fit into my garage.

1 Like

This is the “one-star Yankee Candle reviews on Amazon” of the crypto world.

8 Likes
1 Like

FTX and Sam Bankman-Fried’s Parents Reportedly Bought Millions of Dollars Worth of Bahamas Property

So, a mom and pop operation, actually?

5 Likes