Cryptocurrency (and related fuckery)

@mr_raccoon

coca cola soda GIF

3 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

6 Likes

Israel-Iran War Fears Suddenly Spark $500 Billion Bitcoin And Crypto Price Crash—Hitting Ethereum, BNB, XRP, Solana And Dogecoin

2 Likes
2 Likes

This isn’t exactly new news since this happens on a schedule, but the whole thing sure seems… sustainable.

1 Like

https://cybernews.com/news/data-centers-secretly-mining-crypto-sweden/

Investigation finds 18 data centers secretly mining crypto in Sweden
Eighteen companies in Sweden, disguised as legitimate data centers for AI or other activities, have been found exploiting tax incentives and evading millions in taxes to mine cryptocurrency. The Swedish tax agency Skatteverket is demanding nearly one Billion kronor ($91 million) in additional taxes.

3 Likes

And drop all subsidies to fossil fuel and make green energy :100: free to domestic users. I ran the numbers on that in Ireland on the basis of a news story the other week and it’s a no brainer.

4 Likes

RFK Jr.: ‘I’m gonna put the entire US budget on blockchain’

“I’m going to put the entire U.S. budget on blockchain so that any American — every American can look at every budget item in the entire budget anytime they want 24 hours a day,”

Wha? You don’t need the blockchain for visibility, throw the sucker up on github.

6 Likes

Budget of the United States Government

:woman_shrugging:

6 Likes

… but they told me blockchain was the future

3 Likes

How long does it take again to process a single transaction on the Blockchain?

First Google result:

This is why it takes 60 minutes on average to send Bitcoin from one wallet address to another. However, higher-quality providers might be able to process your transaction in ten or twenty minutes

How many transactions do you think the US government makes in a day?

4 Likes

Kathy Bates Lies GIF

2 Likes

… where X is anything someone proposes using blockchain for. It’s the quintessential solution in search of a problem.

4 Likes

Sigh…

“IF ONLY there were some kind of CENTRALIZED ENTITY that could keep track of this ledger, then you wouldn’t need the overhead of the blockchain. IF ONLY.”

1 Like

They could also use some other method of distributed ledgers…

Just checking that we all know this…

If you separate the “ledger” from the consensus algorithm, say by setting that algorithm to be “anyone with the authorized keys can change the ledger”, then a Git repo (and by extension Github), is for all practical purposes a blockchain, or trivially configured to be a blockchain.

…but we all realize this, right? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes