Cultural appropriation? Hindu nationalists used yoga as an anti-colonialist export

Ah, but you see, here a little cultural appropriation from the Scots simplifies things immensely: tatties are tatties, neeps are neeps, it’s a dreich day in November, and the only drama that’s occurring is while hiding the body of the deej next door who decided to practise his pipes at the crack of dawn.

1 Like

Mangos are (as any fule kno) mangelwurzels.

[ETA] Not ALL middle class liberal academics!

7 Likes

I love potatoes… which is why I must avoid them. It’s an abusive relationship!

They’re easier to turn down when they’ve been adulterated with turnips, though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

5 Likes

Definitely not! I purposely chose academia over academics.

Fair enough… but that’s because all institutions and bureaucracies have a tendency to turn out that way.

2 Likes

I literally could not agree more. You’ve succinctly and eloquently expressed my own thoughts.

1 Like

Adultery, turnips, hmm…

5 Likes

Hegemony, how does it work??

2 Likes

I would argue that it doesn’t work, really!

One of my most basic critical thinking exercises is that if something seems “true”, but somehow only for a certain group of people, that there is almost certainly a BS factor involved.

1 Like

That’s pretty much an argument that hegemony does work, actually. If the BS works.

6 Likes

Only if/when people accept the BS instead of being critical of it. Some do, some don’t. People who rely upon BS are merely those who have failed to present a persuasive argument, so it would be folly to indulge them.

Speaking of people whom I’d temporarily forgotten it would be folly to indulge…

4 Likes

You don’t say…

Maybe you prefer to not insist upon an evidence-based society, that can be your prerogative. I think it is worth demonstrating to people how hegemony does/doesn’t work and encouraging people to be critical of it, rather than being taken along for the ride. People would benefit from being more careful and deliberate in choosing their allies.

1 Like

Wot? I mean…wot?

1 Like

[quote=“milliefink, post:114, topic:69772, full:true”]
Speaking of people whom I’d temporarily forgotten it would be folly to indulge…
[/quote]https://media.giphy.com/media/K69f137YeVKec/giphy.gif

1 Like

I grow those!!

3 Likes

Ha!! So do we. Next time I show off our garden, I am totally presenting it as “Oh, and here is where I grow my snaps!” while snapping my fingers. Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.