Custom device just plays the Monkey Island theme on a PC speaker

Originally published at: Custom device just plays the Monkey Island theme on a PC speaker | Boing Boing

1 Like

The best monkey island song

3 Likes

It’s too bad that those greeting card modules can’t be reprogrammed. (Of course, if they could, pranksters would have a field day.)

2 Likes

First off, nice hack. This is an impressive hack, and I like it a lot!

It just kind of amuses me that the ATtiny85 is a 20MHz 20MIPS chip… while it’s kind of intentionally hobbled by it’s architecture and limited RAM for it’s intended market, it’s actually a faster chip in terms of MIPS than the original game was designed to run on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I dunno. Sounds like the MT32 version is the definitive version. I played it on mac, though.

Which Monkey Island is this from?

looks like curse, 3rd in the series.

1 Like

You are correct. I love 1 & 2 for their own reasons but the hand drawn animation and voice acting for the 3rd game was a joy to experience.

2 Likes

Thanks! Monkey Island 1 had a huge impact on me when I played it as a kid (12ish), but it wasn’t until recently that I actually beat the dang game. I had to give the discs back to the kids that owned it and just never came around to it again. I had an HD remake on my desktop with the same animation (or similar animation at least) and voice acting that I played through earlier this year. Still love just how ridiculous that game is :smiley:

2 Likes

The 4th one which was done in 3D is… very rough. It has some good gags occasionally but entirely worth skipping. 1 thru 3 are pretty solid.

1 Like

I think I’ve mentioned this before, but when we got married we made mix CDs instead of having a DJ or a band. We used the main theme from Monkey Island as the bridge from pre-dinner to dinner.

Video links for the BBS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6dVIQt_cSE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoVi1__jNsI

2 Likes

That’s some spectacular hacking.

I built a sonic sabotage device using the ATTiny85 and this tutorial for encoding the audio, which is quite a bit simpler than the Monkey Island route:

I used it a la Burroughs to subliminally influence people in my town through a repeated word playing back on the hardware I built.

It’s getting closer to being able to play the whole game on your key fob-sized 386-equiv PC.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.