Custom Playmobil weightlifters with homoerotic and steroid references

I dunno maybe I’ve just seen too many Play-mo-people ride bottle rockets to their just reward. I didn’t get the appeal as a kid, and I certainly don’t now.

I think I had one set of “adventure people”–some sort of helicopter with pontoons? Anyway, the figures kept their heads, unlike the star wars action figures, which had to be supergued back together. Kenner’s quality control was horrible.

You cannot foster imagination in only the “approved ways”. That just does not work. :smiley:

1 Like

Thought… What about the emergence of multicolor-capable 3d printers and their impact on this segment of the toy industry?

Which is why I prefer to foster imagination in destructive ways. I’m the cousin/uncle that shows up with firecrackers, water guns, and suggestions on where to find the grossest critters (the answer is in the ocean or under a rock).

1 Like

Had a set much like that. Quickly learned the trick with rolling the thin stem of the screwdriver between fingers. That was before the age of electric screwdrivers, or at least before they became common in the Eastern Bloc zone.

FischerTechnik is so awesome! I had more of those than Legos as a kid, but I lusted after more of both.

When my freshman-year Olympics of the Mind* team was building prototype mouse-trap racers, there was hot competition between the Lego-camp and the FischerTechnic camp. Lego won out, since I refused to allow my preciouses to be superglued. And because there weren’t enough pieces to build 5 vehicles, much less have parts for spares. BUT IN THEORY THE MATERIEL WAS SUPERIOR.

‘*’ Post-IOC lawsuit it has been known rather weakly as “Creative Competitions” I believe.

Also, I’m driving a 2003 Volvo to work and back. My wife bought it used, and I am under strict orders not to mis-treat it. I can’t even put a @#$@#$ bumper-sticker on it. :::sigh::: 150K miles, and we expect need it to last another 10 years. They’re good, safe-cars. Don’t really need the leather seats, but rather that than vinyl.

No garbage service here, so I haul our trash and recyclable to the “transfer station” on Saturdays. There’s a “Swap Meet” area for people to leave things that, theoretically, somebody else might want. In practice, this tends to be mildewed chairs, crust stuffed animals, and broken toasters, but I have gotten some decent kids toys, and a lawn-seed spreader. And I missed, BY TEN SECONDS, a ginormous haul of Lego last summer. :::sigh:::

My kids have Duplos. A generic set in a green bucket, then some Jake and the Neverland Pirates that are split between the boy and girl (not considering the baby, here), and Princess Sofia that is purely for the girl (and dates to her 3rd birthday two weeks ago). However, there is a Princess Sofia thing known as the “Floating Castle” and they have delighted in merging the Sofia duplos with the hull of the pirate ship to build some weird things. Their mom likes to build from the pictures, but I’m finally getting the kids to slap stuff together to see if they can keep from collapsing. The other day my son gave me a “Teeter-totter pipa” (/pee-pa is how pizza is sometimes called). IOW, a pizza with a teeter-totter on it. He told me I shouldn’t eat it, “BECAUSE ITS MADE OF DUPLO, HAH HAH HAH!”

Thank goodness for the warning, I was all set to chow down on a teeter-totter pizza in greens and grey.

Sounds like quite past its best-before…

That’s what those cartoons were for.

oop @daneel beat me to it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.