Customer finds a human bone tucked inside a newly-purchased pair of socks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/25/customer-finds-a-human-bone-tu.html

1 Like

How is someone placing a finger in a sock to make it look like someone placed a finger in a sock a hoax?

3 Likes

The factory isn’t in China???

3 Likes

hah, obviously my human boner tucked inside a sock is still the one to beat.

3 Likes

“Not so loud, sir, or everybody will want one!”

9 Likes

Obviously they didn’t look in the back room where animated skeletons were being enslaved to make socks against their will. #undeadrights #skeletonrightsarehumanrights

2 Likes

An important part of any human remains story is the question of who thinks it’s HUMAN remains, and why, and whether they are remotely qualified to tell human remains from any other kind of remains. HINT: police aren’t. The medical examiner might be, but competent ones clam up for weeks or months–because they’re waiting on the genetic tests to come in, and unlike on teevee those take weeks or months.

It’s probably chicken, guys.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Does it taste like chicken?

4 Likes

Nothing interesting ever happens to me.

3 Likes

So you can get your entire genome sequenced in a morning these days, but a dna test still takes weeks?

Same as anything else. You can get a wrong answer almost immediately, or a correct answer eventually at great expense.

Specifically with genetic testing, the spit-in-a-tube outfits can’t even produce identical results from identical twins. See Twins get some ‘mystifying’ results when they put 5 DNA ancestry kits to the test.

2 Likes

So the human genome project took years and billions of dollars in the 90s, today there’s machines that do it for $1500 and 5 hours or so. I thought that meant that dna testing for criminal purposes would be cheaper and faster too.

Somewhere on the planet, a man, missing a finger, checks off an item on his bucket list.

2 Likes

I would have gone with “prank” rather than “hoax”.

2 Likes

Well, it’s cheap and fast compared to how expensive and slow it was the 1990s.

Hey, that could be --any-- primate oculate ridge, and I for one feel much better about the display of socks soaked in ferrous sulfate and week-long Acolytes of Tiamat event. Has uh…anyone seen a set of clothes and accessories that aren’t the book with the knife -in- it, set aside that might have been selected for a big-boned hipster?

3 Likes

Right; magician who can remove bras without touching people, meet sciatica victim with very good handle on what needs to be removed…and some sugru to pad out the gap…and 2 lumbar surgeons.

‘testing for criminal purposes’> …

Been doing it for criminal purposes for a while now, we seem to have. Then -someone- up 'n decided forensic testing what was supposed to happen to the “rape kits.” Crims totes pipelined from killing all witnesses to mollified to mellowed to restitutive to booking SpaceX to Mars anyway; looking forward to the scandal reveals in that vertical.

4 Likes

Q: Why did the chicken wear socks when he crossed the road?

5 Likes

7 Likes