CVS drugstores will no longer sell greeting cards with great apes on them

Originally published at: CVS drugstores will no longer sell greeting cards with great apes on them | Boing Boing

3 Likes

14 Likes

I hate to agree with PETA, but I also don’t like images of chimps, apes, and monkeys. So fine with them not on greeting cards.

7 Likes

24 Likes

this is much better than trying to rename baseball’s “bullpen” to the “arm barn” or whatever nonsense they did last month just to get attention. they should focus on small little changes like this that actually have a positive influence on the animal’s lives.

edit to add background: PETA wants the MLB to rename 'bullpen' to 'arm barn' : NPR

11 Likes

I don’t have a problem with photoshopping a funny hat into a photo of an ape at a nature preserve or something but yeah we shouldn’t be forcing these animals into working as studio models. At least not until they are able to unionize.

25 Likes

Not just the models. The ones working the cameras need to get paid too.

21 Likes
8 Likes

I guess that’s ok … wait, PETA?

No No No GIF

10 Likes

Ironically the last movie I remember seeing that involved obvious exploitation of real great apes on set was Tim Burton’s remake of Planet of the Apes, a movie that seemed to be about… how awful humans are for mistreating apes?

Probably not the most self-aware production to hit the screen.

9 Likes

Inexplicably, the 2008 Speed Racer movie used a real chimpanzee despite nearly everything else in that film being CGI. The chimpanzee bit a kid and was beaten by its trainer in front of the American Humane Association representative, which went on to rate the movie “unacceptable” as a result.

13 Likes

Holy cow. I can’t imagine why any film studio would even want to go through the headache of using a real ape in the post-Andy-Serkis era.

12 Likes

Right? Especially on a movie set that was filmed in its entirety against a green screen because the producers wanted it to look like “real life anime.”

Edit: nice to see that even mid-budget TV shows now have the capability to have perfectly decent motion-capture apes as characters. Here’s a scene from the ok-but-not-great Netflix show Space Force:

10 Likes

But seriously, just stop.

3 Likes

Better conditions, better working conditions, less work for non-human primates. These things I agree with.

Erasing non-human primates from the public sphere?

PETA and various animal rights groups keep doing this.

The problem is - in most places where charismatic megafauna lives, it causes problems for the locals, or it’s tasty. In general, humans have a tendency to destroy habitat, hunt animals to extinction because hey, free food, or because they are annoying. It takes international or national pressure, normally from outside the range of the animal, to provide reasons to protect that animal instead of exploiting the environment and eliminating the animal.

I mean, look at how much dislike and hatred of the EPA and endangered animals there are of rural idiots here in the USA.

As dumb as it sounds, apes photoshopped into office environments or wearing stupid hats helps create that pressure to protect.

But then again, it almost seems like PETA wants to end animal suffering by ending all non-human animal life on this planet, so screw them.

2 Likes

Aren’t we great apes too?

4 Likes

I didn’t even know any one even sold greetings cards with actual photographs of non-human great apes on them. (Heck, I imagine greeting cards always being pastel drawings or something.)

So long as they’re not trying to be the Drawing Police I’m fine with not having chimpanzees wrestled into a photography studio.

Some of us are mediocre at best.

14 Likes
2 Likes

That does not appear to be what they are doing. They aren’t ending distribution of National Geographic -style photographs of apes, nor cartoon drawings of apes. They’re just getting rid of the photos showing apes posed in cute outfits and interacting with humans and stuff like that.

3 Likes