D&D dumps controversial league play character creation rule

Originally published at: D&D dumps controversial league play character creation rule | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Maybe we could stop stigmatizing role-playing as “nerd news”.

2 Likes

Eh, I’ve been playing D&D and other RPGs for thirty years, and I think this does count under “nerd news”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I agree, also i didn’t get a negative connotation from seeing this called “nerd news”. D&D is definitely a nerdy passtime, though i am quite pleased that it has garnered more fans within the last few years.

3 Likes

It does rather feel like the better approach to power-escallation in sourcebooks is to tackle power-escallation in source-books and not to release source-books that are then banned from usage.

3 Likes

Would people actually apply this rule at stores? My old DM/RPG store employee would let you be whatever you wanted to be. The rules are just guidelines but every DM has the ultimate say, even in a store…

3 Likes

It’s always up to the DM, they have final say and depending on what the players are like they can bend or break rules for the sake of making the play come about as naturally as possible. When you get a gamer that is clearly trying to to be a munchkin and take over the game that’s when the DM has to be more strict with the rules.

It’s specifically for the Adventurer’s League rules, which is designed to bring solo people to a table with a collection of other players and DMs that follow the same adventures and ground rules. It’s essentially convention rules.

Most home games have a wide variety of rules in this regard, and a lot of people have table and homebrew rules.

5 Likes

I only play AL. So I am loving this. Better late then never. I have four character that if I could have made different I would have but as they are now I love each one. Air Genasi Storm Sorcerer here I come​:tada::confetti_ball::confetti_ball:!!

2 Likes

I always felt like AL was overly restrictive with the PHB+1 rule. Interesting to see it’s being dropped.
Not that I plan on attending any AL based sessions anytime soon. By far I prefer the stuff my regular group gets up to.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.