Da Musicz

Oh! New Swans!

Christ, Michael Gira is almost 70 years old!!!

2 Likes
1 Like

[ETA] Speaking of Mr. Gaiman…

Neil: here is a post on tumblr about how the Magnetic Fields are touring for the 25th anniversary of 69 Love song…

Me:
Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

goes to their website to see where they’re playing - nowhere NEAR ATL

Me:

dont-trust-b-happy-sad

Also… it’s been 25 years since that album came out, you guys…

Also… the Dresden Dolls are live streaming their show from NOLA tonight… starting in a few…

4 Likes

Darn it!

I tried to sign up for the presale, but they wouldn’t take my Google Voice number (which can be texted). The ticket agency needs a cell phone number, because that way they get lots of data.

I’m not giving that up for an edge in getting tickets for a show. Although, Thalia Hall really is a lovely little venue for music.

That does look beautiful!

That’s kind of fucked up about asking for a cell number for the pre-sale… You can always just see about tickets once they go on sale for the general…

[ETA] unrelated to the Magnetic Fields…

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

[ETA]

More from the new Swans…

[eta] Fini Tribe!

[ETA] on the fate of live venues in the UK as cities gentrify…

[eta]

El-P is the greatest white rapper of all time…

He might be right on that. El-P is fantastic…

2 Likes

Why was British music in the late 1970s and early 80s so tribal and so violent?

If going to a musical gig now is about having fun and enjoying a “party” atmosphere, it used to be very different. It was an era when music was taken very seriously. For many, it defined who you were. Writer Paul Morley says: “Back then, the music you liked was a matter of life and death."

It was common for musical differences to end in violence. Peter Hook, of Joy Division and then New Order, says, “There were riots all the time at gigs."

And it was a time when politics played a much more prominent role in popular culture. Neville Staple of two-tone group The Specials recalls the havoc caused by the far-right National Front. “We used to get a lot of conflict at our gigs… .we always used to get the NF," he says.

Adrian Goldberg looks back at a culture divided by haircuts, clothes, class and politics.

What did this tribalism say about Britain then?

Featuring:

Peter Hook of Joy Division and New Order;
Peter Hooton from The Farm
Pauline Black of Selecter
Neville Staple of the Specials
Clare Grogan of Altered Images

Plus music journalists Paul Morley, ex New Musical Express, and Garry Bushell of Sounds

4 Likes

I want to say he was part of the post-punk Oi wave and had some troubling connections with the right wing of that movement… :thinking:

Looks interesting… I’m sure I’ll have opinions on it to share once I can give it a listen…

2 Likes

If anyone’s interested, tonight starting at 7:00pm Eastern US Time (in about an hour and a half) there will be a live folk concert broadcast from Bryant Park in NYC:

Info on the performers:

2 Likes

Just finished: really solid concert. My favorite was Terrell King, but my daughter’s was Yacouba Sissoko, and it’s true his kora virtuosity was amazing!

2 Likes
4 Likes

New Breeders? Yes please!

And check out Alchemical String Theory…

[ETA] A band from the ATL in the mid-90s… Pineal Ventana… here, playing at the Point (which is now a high end thrift store!).

I have their second album, and it’s great.

4 Likes

2 Likes
1 Like

A George Clinton cover of a Prince classic.

[ETA]

More Anohni…

And some new Polly Jean…

A cover of a Nick Drake song by radiohead’s drummer…

[ETA] Sooooooo… Gwar is gonna be on Tiny Desk Concert…

1 Like