Daryl Hall gets a restraining order against partner John Oates

Not if each one’s net worth is in the tens of millions (as claimed upthread). I’m not offering up an alternate theory, mind.

2 Likes

That’s possible, but the US is historically the largest market for recorded music by a large margin.

4 Likes

It’s something like 40% which to be honest I assume is yet another example from the endless stream of record industry accounting fraud.

So any numbers have to be taken as seriously as if you saw them pull them out of their own arses.

1 Like

Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

5 Likes

6 Likes

Aw, I liked their songs as a kid.

You can’t tell me that Man Eater wasn’t about Ms Pac-man.

3 Likes
  1. I can’t go for that.

2. Simson Garfinkel

3. Also Lev Zetlin

4. The best thing on the internet is Shorewood High School’s backwards lip dub of “You Make My Dreams Come True.”

4 Likes

I honestly really liked Daryl’s House back when it was on cable (IIRC).

He’d invite a band out to jam in his mountain house with a cool open studio, and they’d play each others’ tunes (maybe why John is mad). He had rappers, rockers, and hippies; they’d hang out and have a chill (very 60s style) conversation around the dinner table, and I’m 100% sure they were all REALLY high before dinner even started, because the conversations were deep and ever-so-slightly surreal.

It was a neat throwback kinda thing.

4 Likes

Aw. Let’s remember them in happier times:

2 Likes

adam devine GIF by Workaholics

5 Likes

Watch out, boy; watch out, boy.

6 Likes

It would be interesting if it was a case of Oates performing their songs as a solo act. Hall was the primary songwriter but Oates did co-write several of their biggest hits, not to mention album tracks.

I would think any song for which Oates is a co-writer he’d have every right to perform. And as for the songs written by Hall alone, or with other collaborators, not permitting Oates to perform them seems petty, as long as Hall receives his due royalties. After all, they are Hall & Oates songs, regardless of who wrote them. It would be like Paul McCartney stopping Ringo Starr from performing Yellow Submarine.

This reminds me of the Supertramp situation. Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies are credited with co-writing all Supertramp songs, similar to the Lennon-McCartney arrangement. In reality, they rarely wrote together and it so happens that most of the group’s charted hits were written by Hodgson alone. As an album band that also had hits, many fans are equally interested in the album tracks and when Hodgson left Supertramp the agreement was that the band would only perform Davies’ compositions. For hardcore fans it was fine but casual fans couldn’t hear the songs everyone knows, “The Logical Song”, “It’s Raining Again”, “Take the Long Way Home”, and “Dreamer”. Recently, 10 years ago or so, the Davies-lead Supertramp began including those songs in the set lists to please fans and Hodgson wasn’t happy, which again strikes me as somewhat petty since he was getting paid for it.

4 Likes

Ermagerrrrd. Where is this from? My daughter needs one for Xmas.

2 Likes

You didn’t know they had so many hits? You’re sure Out of Touch.

As an aside, I’ve heard stories about Daryl Hall from a reliable music biz source of mine, and apparently he’s kind of a dick anyway so this doesn’t really surprise me.

1 Like

Right? I don’t get this at all — either way the songwriters get paid. Would they rather nobody perform their songs and nobody gets any money?

2 Likes

“Only those who are worthy shall ever perform the fruits of my genius!”

1 Like

google image search results

1 Like

I found one. Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

I put my money on this, from the quotes I saw. Matches with Hall saying Oates was financial partner not creative partner.

But ouch, it is a sad trope come to life.

If Oates performs the songs in his show, no royalties are getting paid, I would think.

edit: crap, I double posted. Is the right thing to do make one post, which I generated from the Quote button, and then manually add second quote I later responded to? Then I’m not responding to the right person in one, but I’m not double posting.