Data viz video of the most visited websites from 1996 to 2019

I think this format is great. A line graph doesn’t convey the experience of passage of time the way these videos do. A line graph gives you the quick, big picture but I find this video format to be remarkably immersive.

I mean, sure, you can use a line graph to show the back-and-forth of a basketball game score, too, if that’s how you want to experience it.

The obvious behemoth in the room is google+youtube. Who now nearly monopolize the complete information flow of the world.

To me Google is much more scary than facebook. If you say to people that facebook is bad, they mostly agree. It’s a guilty pleasure for lots of people. Youtube is seen as much more neutral, while being the main spreader of disinformation in the world. And the Google-the-search-engine is seen by most people as something objective. While the google filter bubble is imho one of the most divisive forces in the wolrd today.

1 Like

The graph can be misleading. When some bars are quickly shrinking, they’re still growing but not as fast as Google, which is re-scaling the whole graph.

3 Likes

Google had all that quotes and AND/OR bullshit, too at the beginning. So glad when they got rid of it!

1 Like

Oh, I missed that phase.

I was surprised that (and/or similar) didn’t rank higher, nor sooner.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.