David Cronenberg on his latest film, Crimes of the Future, and the beauty of body horror

Originally published at: David Cronenberg on his latest film, Crimes of the Future, and the beauty of body horror | Boing Boing

1 Like

It’s always a little surreal to me how Cronenberg can produce such deeply viscerally disturbing films but comes across as a very normal, grounded person. When he did his walkthrough of JM Video in Paris, most of the films he passionately loved were arty, but mainstream, with only a few exceptions. He comes across as the sort of person you might happily invite to dinner with your family, which is saying something given some of the images he’s set to film.

I used to say the same about David Lynch, but I’ve seen the façade crack in a couple of interviews, and you get hints that his tastes and his psyche are a little darker and more unsettling than his rather genial persona might otherwise suggest.

4 Likes

What even is a “normal” person? People are complex, and maybe the very idea of a presumed shared normality is why it typically requires a certain intimacy for people to let you in on the less “normal” things that go on in their heads, they are afraid to be perceived as different, and they simply don’t want to make other people feel uncomfortable.

On the other hand I know a few people who flaunt rather eccentric tastes in art, clothing and outward appearance in general, but once I got to know them, I found them to have rather simple and shockingly conservative views on most issues.

I find it rather convincing that a grounded person would explore the darker side of things from time to time, at least in my experience one benefits a lot from being unsettled by their own imagination occasionally. Turing that into a work of art seems like a very productive thing to do. A kind of meditation, if you can see it that way.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.