Video: David Cronenberg brings back body horror in new film

Originally published at: Video: David Cronenberg brings back body horror in new film | Boing Boing

2 Likes

That SiFi’d the hell out’a me.

4 Likes

brings back body horror

Junji Ito has entered the chat…

7 Likes

Aiiiee! Looks very interesting and intense. Not sure if I can tolerate these kinds of nightmares the way I used to. I’ll probably go see it anyways and be disturbingly uncomfortable for 2 hours.

1 Like

Last summer I went on Junji Ito kick and got 3 of his classic collected works (Tomie, Uzumaki, and Gyo) . A master of tension in print form.

2 Likes

That trailer is leaning hard on that Blade Runner sound effect sample.

1 Like

relatedly:

Why Does Every Movie Trailer Use the Same Sound Effects? (vulture.com)

1 Like

Caprice, Saul Tenser, Timlin.

Is it just me, but does DC always run with character names that stand out?

1 Like

Here’s the original (although I gather that the recent film isn’t really a remake of this one.) It’s sci-fi technically, but closer to experimental film than traditional genre. Not for everyone, but I quite liked it.

2 Likes

1 Like

Dr. Brace with a brace around his head?

1 Like

Johnny Smith from The Dead Zone.

1 Like

Those low intro swells in this trailer (that are also in every scifi movie these days), what brass is that? Does a trombone go low enough? Is it a baritone? A sousaphone? Is there arco double bass in there as well? Is there a name for that particular phrase? Is it the world’s slowest whole step glissando? We need to know.

Is it just digitally altered?

Johnny Smith. When DC is stuck with the author’s character’s name.

1 Like

Digitally re-mixed whale farts.

1 Like
1 Like

body horror

Thanks for teaching me that phrase. I’ll add it to my list of things to avoid.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.