De-bullshitifying the libertopian Legend of Malheur National Wildlife Refuge

I did not know that. I’ve watched the first two eps only so far, and I’m saving that one. Cool, thanks!

Oh! Sorry! I didn’t spoil anything big, though. It’s a great show, but you come to hate the main character, but that’s okay, because Poussey…

6 Likes

It was the wall of a storage room containing a bunch of weapons-grade uranium, actually, but it WAS at Oak Ridge. Says a lot about Oak Ridge’s ‘security’ that no-one noticed for two hours, until they found the nuns singing.

1 Like

This is the executive order establishing the Malheur Reservation.

The word “reservation” is pretty generic. It is not limited to “Indian Reservations”-- it is simply land that has been put aside for some purpose-- a camp for boyscouts, a refuge for wildlife, a training facility for the military…

Behold!

4 Likes

Theodore Roosevelt wasn’t a saint… but he was a goddamn saint. He preserved treasure upon treasure that would have been used up in a generation. He was also a dick, and pretty weird. But I’ll take the whole package and not complain.

5 Likes

Don’t forget the racism and misogyny. It ain’t just greed that’s obnoxious about those wankers.

2 Likes

I see your confusion. What you have said is correct. However, -earlier- in time

it was a Paiute Reservation from 1872 to 1879.

Then there was a local war. Armed insurrection against the govt for setting that land aside for them. and they lost that reservation to private hands.

Then later, Roosevelt and what you said in 1908. Here, citation:

2 Likes

Yes. I’ve always defined “terrorism” as “the targeted use of violence against civilians as a means to enact political change”. These guys have only threatened violence, and that violence has been against the state, rather than civilians.

So, not terrorists. Insurgents, seditionists, traitors, any of those would apply.

2 Likes

Can I throw out some info here?

These guys are making a big deal of the fact that the federal government controls over 50% of the land there.

I’ve been through a couple of these ranching states, and there’s a WHOLE LOT of nothing to a degree that’s kind of hard for those of us in the more densely populated states to comprehend.

A quick scan of MLS listings tells me I could buy a literal square mile of Oregon for the price of a decent condo in my hometown. The area in question, Harney County, has 7,000 people in 10k square miles. I have four times that many people within 3 miles of my house.

I mean- If the BLM owned half of it (I think the official number is something like 53%), what’s left over comes to roughly 500 acres per adult. I kinda feel like the “government owns half the land” thing just doesn’t hold water when there’s THAT much they don’t own.

For comparison, here’s area divided by population for a few different regions:

Manhattan NYC: 0.013 acres per person.
King County WA: 0.64 acres per person.
Strafford County NH: 1.92 acres per person
Harney County OR: 896 acres per person

Now take away half and try to survive on what’s left. It’s just not the same thing.

6 Likes

Years and years ago, I had a job where someone had left an almanac in the break room. It briefly defined a number of political philosophies. For the term “fascism,” it said the term was hard to define* but that it was generally a rejection of everything that we thought up during (and after?) the Enlightenment.
*(Perhaps because it’s so widely used as a synonym for politics with which one disagrees, though I don’t remember that the almanac actually said this).

4 Likes

Names don’t matter. Maps do.

Here’s a map of the Malheur river reservation:

Here’s a map of the Lake Malheur resrvation:

(A couple of years ago, I visited Yoesemite, where it was explained that in order to adequately protect the Yosemite Valley and the Marisposa grove, the watersheds of the Merced and Toulome rivers would have to be protected as well.

As you can hopefully see, the dark green area is vast compared with the Valley and grove,)

In this respect, the protection of the “least subdivisions touching the shore line of Lakes Malheur and Harney” would seem to be a poor scheme for managing the lake as a wildlife refuge, though it does get rid of the hunters, who would not then have access.

But given that the visitor center under occupation is on the soulthern shore of Lake Malheur, and the old Malheur river Indian reservation touches only a portion of the northern shore of Lake Malheur, it would be best not to confuse the two,

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.