Dead Celebrity (Part 2)

7 Likes

Unsurprisingly, Pitchfork had an excellent obit for him that didnā€™t sugarcoat his legacy.

8 Likes

Gissa job!

5 Likes

Boeingā€™s issues arenā€™t new!
ā€“James Gregory: Funniest Man in America

3 Likes

More Deroit rock history.

12 Likes
14 Likes

Oh no!

People should check out the documentary about his productions in the Philippines:

9 Likes

No worries. Heā€™ll just come back as some kind of undead being or other.

10 Likes

Another Detroit legend. sigh

7 Likes
11 Likes

Jasper White. His is my go-to chowder recipe. The Summer Shack was right near where I grew up, although at the time it was a ā€œChineseā€ restaurant called Aku Aku.

6 Likes
5 Likes
11 Likes

Iā€™m not much of a jazz fan but I do remember David Sanborn quite a few times on Letterman and sitting in with Paul on Thursday nights.

6 Likes

He played with so many big musicians on a lot of albums, but I especially get a kick whenever I watch Scrooged. (He was also one of the street musicians along with Schaffer, Larry Carlton and Miles Davis.)

7 Likes

The manā€™s track record includes George Benson, Bob James, Al Jarreau, James Brown, Gil Evans, Carly Simon as well as a whole host of people he played for that love and respect as a session player so, if people are sniffing at him thinking they are too cool, they are wrong.

Thatā€™s a mighty discography.

8 Likes

Nooo!

This might be my favorite thing out of the many recordings that he did. I kept it in frequent rotation when I picked up the sax again as an adult.

This one would be right up there as well:

Through every phase of his career, Sanborn maintained an insistent if inconstant connection with the jazz traditionā€¦

Iā€™d suggest with its avant-garde, as well. I couldnā€™t find it on YouTube, but he plays on Tim Berneā€™s Diminutive Mysteries (Mostly Hemphill).

4 Likes

ā€œMy analysis is the Warren Commission is quite wrong,ā€ Wecht told Pittsburghā€™s Action News 4. ā€œI believe there were two shooters. Iā€™m not at all certain that Lee Harvey Oswald was one of the two shooters.ā€

Itā€™s that second bulletā€™s trajectory and all the damage the commission said it did that made Wecht skeptical. He called it the magic bullet. He said the bulletā€™s path doesnā€™t make sense, calling it ā€œridiculous.ā€

6 Likes

This is a reminder that all forensic ā€œscienceā€ is ridiculous. From fingerprints to blood splatter analysis. Itā€™s real output is that it makes people confess.

4 Likes

Hmm. If it finds evidence that makes people confess because their denial is now patently unbelievable, I donā€™t see how thatā€™s ridiculous.

Surely forensic research can be thanked for, for instance, rape convictions in cases where otherwise, and as usual, a perpetratorā€™s word is taken over that of a survivor.

4 Likes