Dead Kennedys' Jello Biafra interviewed during his 1987 obscenity trial

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/28/dead-kennedys-jello-biafra-i.html

4 Likes

Also recommended: the HR Giger documentary Dark Star.

8 Likes

Teens committing suicide because they listened to naughty rock music? Really? It happens for many reasons, but as the father of an ex-teen, I can’t imagine him saying, “Naughty rocker says to kill self… must… kill… self!”

I myself was exposed to Angry Samoans as a teen, and yet never poked my eyes out with a fork. I am a tower of iron will.

5 Likes

I’m on an obscenity trial right now.

7 Likes

Same old, same old.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(14)70229-9/fulltext

nine police officers stormed into Biafra’s apartment in San Francisco and his record label’s offices, seizing copies of the album and demanding to know where Giger lived."

What a bunch of dopes.

2 Likes

Did you hear what happened to the jurisprudence fetishist?

He got off on a technicality.

7 Likes

It’s hard to remember how scary the Parents’ Music Resource Center, and some of Washington’s most relentless pearl clutchers, though that records they disapproved of were; now that murder simulator video games(insert example that is, ideally, at least 5 years past peak popularity) have been the moral panic for a number of years…

1 Like

Everything about this video is great — the earnestness of the reporter, and also just how coherent and cleaned-up Jello is. Heheh

1 Like

Jello Biafra, Frank Zappa, Dee Snider and even John Denver really threw themselves into the gears of the machine to take a stand against censorship. Artists of today really owe them a debt of gratitude because it cost some of them (Jello Biafra) dearly in terms of their careers and sales.

6 Likes

Long live our great founding fathers of rock n’ roll!

1 Like

Jessica Willis: Have you ever gotten shit from women for these Landscapes?
Giger: No, but Landscape XX was a little problem here in the States when the Dead Kennedys used it inside their album. They thought it was a photograph. When they found out it was an airbrush and that I had an Oscar they stopped giving me trouble. But I don’t do much like this…it’s ugly."

2 Likes

Zappa wrote a wonderful argument in the L.A. Weekly wherein he correctly predicted that the PARENTAL ADVISORY label would serve no useful purpose other than to attract younger fans and become a marketing tool for the record companies.

Side pun, for the movie Fargo:
PARENTAL ADVISORY: Chipper Gore

3 Likes

Well, thankfully, nobody gives a shit about album art anymore, unless it refuses to adhere to a song on your phone. Zappa is dead, and Tipper is safe now.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.