Deadly shooting in Hanau Germany leaves 8+ dead, 5+ wounded

Just to be clear, licensed hunters are allowed to own pistols to use while hunting (to dispatch wounded animals). But these are under the same restrictions as other hunting weapons, i.e., you must transport them securely and separately from their ammunition, and you only get to carry them in the forest etc. where you’re licensed to hunt. What would be “harder than medical school”, according to your friend, is getting a license to carry a handgun in daily life.

9 Likes

Um, I will just say that I know of at least one Jagdverein which was locally famous for being the exact opposite of responsible…

The episode of the stress test of the leather hunting trousers involving the Kegelbahn and the shotgun springs to mind.

Not officially at least so far as I am aware - and I doubt there is much in practice. I would hope that if you’re already on a watchlist, that that would come up when applying but would they stop your application if the criteria were met? Or would they grant the license and just up your “watch this guy” status?

The German police and security services record on right-wing extremism is not good so I would not expect having right-wing nutter tendencies to disqualify one.

The two main groups you can join to get a license, hunter’s groups and “marksmen’s clubs” both tend fairly conservative and the “marksmens’ clubs” in particular have ‘nationalism’ baked in.

Obviously how much that comes through or is relevant today varies from club to club and member to member #nichtalleschuetzen, etc. but let’s say I wouldn’t put too much weight on the argument that having to be a member of a schuetzenverein gives any greater protection.

A schuetzenverein is essentially a drinking club with a gun problem (to paraphrase from hashing) and the same is often true of hunting. Membership does not require good sense - just an ability to answer the questions the way you were told, get along with the other members and not do anything too stupid too publicly.

5 Likes

Just to prevent someone from coming to a wrong conclusion: you don’t automatically get a license to own a gun - and especially not to carry a gun! - by joining any club. Waffenbesitzkarte, Jagdschein, kleiner Waffenschein and Waffenschein are all related to the Waffengesetz. While legalese German is hard to translate even for humans, I suggest trying online translation tools to dive into the matter if anyone is interested. Especially the history of the Waffengesetz is rich and interesting.

That said, I reiterate: the law concering weapons is not the point here. The point is that a racist killed people because he was racist. He used a gun, and should not have had one. However, racism is the main point.

ETA:
Shit. As expected, it seems that many more terrorist supporters are at large in an (hopefully unrelated) case of a nazi terrorist network which was busted (obviously only in parts…) some two weeks ago.

https://www1.wdr.de/nachrichten/westfalen-lippe/mutmassliches-terrornetzwerk-minden-100.html

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.