Three dead in Netherlands tram shooting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/18/one-dead-and-three-wounded-in.html

4 Likes

14 Likes

The link just goes to the bbc news page. Try this

9 Likes

The news is still pretty blurry around this story.

5 Likes

Good God the whole world is turning American!

14 Likes

Police have named the suspect as 37-year-old Gökmen Tanis, born in Turkey.

There was also a strike by police and some other public employees (like train drivers) in the Netherlands today in protest against plans to raise the pension age EDIT: from 66, which may have influenced the timing of the attack.

(Police didn’t AFAIK all walk out, but protested in other ways- in particular, highways were blocked by convoys of emergency service vehicles driving at 66 km/h. All strike action by emergency services was cancelled after the attack.)

[Name of suspect spoilered on request now he is in custody]

6 Likes

I think that quote that gets posted after all the mass shootings here ("…Says the only country where these happen") may need to be retired at this point. Sucks on every possible level.

8 Likes

The only country where they happen regularly. A lot of countries have had mass shootings.

17 Likes

And I would add that while the US has more gun violence based massed shootings, to date bombings are not a norm here. So if we pan the view back and call these things “mass killings by terrorism/terrorists” I am not so sure the US is any worse or better than anyone else in the world. Which is to say we all are awful in this category.

4 Likes

Can you put the name behind a spoiler tag? Some of us here (me included) don’t think that mass shooters deserve any identification beyond “That arsehole who shot a bunch of people”.

16 Likes

…The only country where mass shootings happen regularly, and we still don’t do shit about it, but offer up useless “thoughts and prayers.”

16 Likes

I and the world need a day off from mass shootings.

9 Likes

This. Again.

I don’t want your likes, I want this to happen.

17 Likes

I can’t help it, I have to like it.

8 Likes

Shouldn’t be so damn appropriate just a few days after its last use, should it?

9 Likes

I agree, but wonder if an exception should be made if they’re still looking for the guy.

4 Likes

I was going to say something like that. France has huge mass shootings, plus huge vehicle attacks that we don’t have so much of here. We’re not in some exclusive club on this. The only unusual club we’re in is our particular MO, which is having the highest rate of gun violence in the developed world, but Europe is catching up. The exclusive club is on the other end, where Japan and a few other prosperous Asian countries seem to have nearly zero of shootings, almost zero of any other attacks. There are some “mass stabbings” which seem to be a uniquely Asian thing that I can’t remember happening here, but these are super-rare in the prosperous Asian countries.

1 Like

I agree there’s not really any value in sharing any asshole mass killer’s name, but the more we hide the real face of modern terrorism in the West the more we allow people to pretend that we should all be worried about dark-skinned guys with beards and turbans and ignore the angry white nationalists.

10 Likes

unfortunately Earth leads the universe in human beings being shitty to one another.

3 Likes

We’re in a league of our own when it comes to gun massacres. France doesn’t even come close: the Wikipedia page for “Mass Shootings in France” has a whopping 8 entries.

6 Likes