13 dead in California bar after gunman opens fire (Update: shooter identified)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/11/08/12-reported-killed-by-gunman-i.html

1 Like

If only there were some way to prevent things like this from happening.

48 Likes

44 Likes

Edited to add: This cartoon seems to have resonated with a lot of people here today. When words fail, strong images can sometimes still stand. The brilliant artist here is Bruce MacKinnon in the Halifax, Nova Scotia, Chronicle-Herald, and it was originally published in response to the Las Vegas tragedy. If you’re a tweeter, he’s @CH_Cartoon

56 Likes

Now, if everyone in that crowded bar were armed this would never have happened.

(sarcsm)

28 Likes

Man with gun, all other motives are irrelevant.

17 Likes

“… but Ventury County Sheriff Geoff Dean told reporters that he has “no reason to beleive there was a link to terrorism””

So can we infer that the shooter was white?

I might as well send hopes and prayers as that’s probably more proactive than anything the government will do about this.

37 Likes
48 Likes

Don’t be such a pessimist. As I type this, Sarah Sanders is trying to figure out a way to pin the blame on Jim Acosta.

36 Likes

She has the video proof that he shot first.

26 Likes

Heh heh- well played!

8 Likes

Two thoughts:

Why aren’t all public-space murders called terrorism? Do they not terrorize? Or would that just encourage your garden-variety murderers to try harder to capture headlines?

I’d be almost willing to encourage public torture of these types of murderers. It’s almost a shame they die and/or kill themselves. Or would that also encourage certain types to try harder?

3 Likes

If he hadn’t shot himself it wouldn’t even be the worst shooting in the last month.

19 Likes

Throughout the Bush W. administration, everything was terrorism. It reached the point of bureacratic cliche, attached to things like schoolboy trollies and security researchers. Even conservatives got tired and angry at the word’s constant misuse as a cheap news siren. So it’s understandable that people on the left are conflicted over using “terrorism” to describe sole-shooter incidents and the like. There’s an obvious price to using police state duckspeak, even when it’s situationally accurate.

27 Likes

In any case of murder-suicide, I always encourage the shooter to try the suicide part first and see how that turns out before progressing to the murder.

39 Likes

terrorism | ˈtɛrərɪzəm |
noun [mass noun]
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims

There’s generally a wider political agenda for something to technically be terrorism, which isn’t necessarily always the case in mass shootings. It should definitely be used more often against white domestic terrorists when apt tho.

24 Likes

Or “Lone Wolves” as they are known? :roll_eyes: I think it is doubly insulting, as “Lone Wolf” actually makes them sound cooler than, “Domestic Terrorist”.

18 Likes

The problem, apparently, is that all these college kids are too concerned with diving to save their avocado toast instead of charging the shooter:

Fox guest Dr. Darrin Porcher says that when confronted by an active shooter, victims should simply rush the gunman: “Granted, someone may get shot, but the truth of the matter is this will decrease the carnage far greater than if you look to run, hide, and dial 911.” pic.twitter.com/aXiJKOhr5y

— Bobby Lewis (@revrrlewis) November 8, 2018
6 Likes

At a guess, I doubt the tattoo theme was butterflies and unicorns.

9 Likes

Thousand Oaks is an upscale LA exurb listed as one of the safest places to live in America.

It still is. This is all the safety we get.

14 Likes