Death of a Death Valley Hiker

As I say, “Any traumatic event you survive is an anecdote.” Frankly, I’m not desperate enough for small talk material to take a risk like these folk. :astonished:

2 Likes

I get irrationally upset every time I see a Photoshop job that gives itself away with mismatched fonts like that.

FWIW Mountain Lion attacks against humans in Death Valley aren’t really a thing, though the feral donkeys haven’t been so lucky.

5 Likes

And the paper tackled on the left sign says the same thing as the one on the right, advising not to go out after 10 (at least in Italian, French, and Spanish), instead of matching the sign. Irritating.

3 Likes

The only reason I’m now considering a visit to that area is to steal that lion danger sign…

1 Like

Save yourself the trip. As I said, the sign is an obvious photoshop job. They didn’t even bother to swap in a different background.

2 Likes

11 Likes

When I lived in the Mojave my hard cutoff temperature for going on a hike was 105°. Even then only if I knew the route well, knew there was plenty of shade for frequent breaks and with enough water that it was inconceivable that I could drink it all. I know nothing of this gentleman’s provenance, but myself having not lived in a hot desert climate in many years now, I might not even attempt a hike if it were above 95°. I’ve been on hikes in cooler weather with people who ended up with heat exhaustion. I’ve also been to death valley while the temps were over 110° - not the right time for a hike. Sorry for adding personal anecdote to this, but with something like extreme heat, people have to set limits for themselves.

6 Likes

Well, I wasn’t going to spend more than a couple of minutes hacking together a joke image. :smile::+1:

6 Likes

Fair! (As I said, I know it’s an irrational response on my part)

2 Likes

yes, but it’s a dry heat.

/s

4 Likes

… “anything above human body temperature” seems like a red flag, especially if the sun is out

That does help, that’s why it doesn’t just kill us instantly, but it doesn’t mean you’re good, go nuts

5 Likes

5 Likes

As I understand it, you don’t just dunk someone with heatstroke (or equivalent) into a tub of cold water - that will kill them front the shock. You have to lower their temperature slowly.

Once you get past a certain point, it’s either let them die from the heat or kill them by cooling them too quickly.

6 Likes

At anything over 98 degrees I go out, so my dog can potty and then we go back in again. I will also go out to put a pan of water down for dogs that do longer walks.

3 Likes

It seems like you don’t need to go too far toward the edges of a given flavor of endurance athletics to observe that humans do not actually find pain stimuli to be unambiguously aversive.

2 Likes

Right. I don’t think there’s much cold water in a place that’s 125 degrees Fahrenheit. :man_shrugging:

I’m only thinking a bit lower than ambient temperature (like we get here in northern Mexico), but enough to draw out the temperature difference over a little while. A “cold shower” here is not much lower than a “warm shower” in much of the USA.

1 Like

Some history of Death Valley…

2 Likes

:thinking:

1 Like

So, cool in relation to the rest, I figure?

4 Likes

To be fair, every corpse everywhere was once a human who might have been any kind of person, but death comes to us all.

The best one can hope for is that the reaper will tap your shoulder while you’re peacefully asleep, rather than screaming in horror like your passengers. (C) Bob Monkhouse.

3 Likes