Death of a Death Valley Hiker

Originally published at: Death of a Death Valley Hiker | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Well, that was quite a choice.

11 Likes

Death of a Death Valley Hiker

Dude, it’s right there in the name!!

18 Likes

That’s just, like, an expert opinion, man.

28 Likes

Sadly, a hiker that went missing in the hills just a mile or two from my house was recently found dead too, after about a 2-week search. The cause of death hasn’t been announced yet but it was quite hot on the day he went missing. Not 128 degrees, but enough to get yourself in trouble nonetheless.

9 Likes

Either that, or zinc poisoning.

11 Likes

Last line of the obit is quite something.

When asked why he was attempting the hike, the avid outdoorsman hardly paused before answering.

“Why do I do it?” he asked. “Why not?”

Is that even a real question?

8 Likes

Are we looking at a new way to suicide that bypasses life insurance clauses?

7 Likes

Because it’s fucking Death Valley, in a time of global warming?

:thinking: :disappointed:

10 Likes

Both hyper- and hypothermia can put you in a place where you simply are no longer making rational decisions. Hard to say that he was, at the point he said he was going to continue, deciding to do anything. Sad.

13 Likes

10 Likes

… there are many other months during the year when we can visit Death Valley and not die :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I’m not a morning person, two coffee minimum to be reasonable. I assume uncaffeinated lions must be extremely snarky.

11 Likes

“Well sir, as I see it, the name Death Valley shouldn’t scare you, because it’s a misnomer. Ya see, if you look at the map it’s really more of a basin than a valley.

Jokes aside, I have experienced mild heat stroke, and mild hypothermia, and they are serious. I get it that people want to test their limits on wilderness treks, but for all the stories you read about someone surviving those kinds of desperate circumstances there are many more stories of people who don’t make it., some of which we may never even know about because they just disappeared into the wild.

10 Likes
1 Like

NUMBER ONE: Do not run it in July :skull:

7 Likes

128 F is 53 1/3 C, or low sauna temperature. Why the hell would you go out and hike in that???

2 Likes

Has anyone been to Golden Valley? Do the restrooms operate with water?

I’m no scientist, but I would think if the park rangers had a tub they could fill with water for folks who were undergoing emergency-level severe heat stress to bring down the internal body temperature… :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

There’s a one minute sweet spot at 10am.

2 Likes

If you can run fast enough to cover the course in 1 minute, you don’t actually need to worry about the lions.

4 Likes