Debunking 52 popular myths

A few of these are kinda iffy.

Black holes can be described as holes in the four-dimensional fabric of space-time.

Caffeine may not dehydrate you but drinking caffeinated beverages is not an efficient way to stay hydrated, so that seems kinda nitpicky.

3 Likes

I seem to recall reading that the Great Wall myth may have started as speculation, in the pre-moonshot days, about what human-made objects may be visible from the lunar surface.

Lots of things are visible from “space,” depending on how high up you place the boundary.

Cecil covered it, of course: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/417/is-the-great-wall-of-china-the-only-manmade-object-you-can-see-from-space

4 Likes

I remember reading an article posted here last week about how the debunkers are wrong, as often as not.

So there.

9 Likes

not completely off-topic: a few days ago I learnt that the commision has a nice blog about Euromyths. sure, they are biased - but some of the entries are fascinating, e.g. all the ones about bananas, cucumbers and condoms (sadly no myth is about all 3 together)

8 Likes

Well, I do know for a fact, for I have been there, you CAN see the moon from the Great Wall of China.

/ no, not really, I’ve never been there.
// Isn’t, like, y’know, everywhere “space”, man?

9 Likes

I did link the data. Short version: You can see the Great Wall from orbit with the naked eye if you know what to look for and where to look. You can also see hundreds of other man-made features, particularly at night.

2 Likes

Humanity is still overlapping with dinosaurs - birds are theropods.

5 Likes

I guess this is a very sensitive topic in the US but… isn’t well established amongst epistemologists that human knowledge stops at the theory level?
So, how is it possible for evolution to be more than a theory?
Even if it’s a well proven, solid theory?
The kind of theory that you have to be a little nuts to shun without very solid evidence?
(can i use shun this way?)

1 Like

It may be well established among epistemologists that human knowledge stops at the theory level, but to the lay man, from my experience, theory is taken to mean, an idea. Basically ‘theory’ is just the short word for ‘hypothesis’ when in reality they are two different steps. This misconception is thoroughly practiced in Christian schools. It isn’t till someone is a ‘true believer’ that they can accept that God merely put all that evidence there to confound the ‘wise’.

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen other variations of this “myths debunked” list, and it needs, if not some debunking, at least better qualifiers. The Great Wall can be seen from space - but so can a number of man-made constructions. The myth is that it’s the only man-made thing that can be seen from space. Viking helmets used for ceremonial purposes may have had horns and/or similar protrusions, but the helmets worn by your standard Viking warriors didn’t - as far as we know. That is, we’ve found no archaeological evidence to suggest that any non-ceremonial helmets had horns. The idea that all Vikings wore horned helmets does seem to originate, entirely, from the costumes of a particular 19th century opera.
Also, bananas do grow on trees - the plants they grow on are called “banana trees.” It’s just that technically speaking, from a botanical perspective, they don’t qualify as “trees.” But from a botanical perspective, almost everything we call a “berry” isn’t one (and what are actually berries aren’t called that), roses don’t actually have thorns, a number of nuts aren’t “really” nuts, etc.
And I find it strange that the “Satan doesn’t rule Hell - it doesn’t say that in the Bible” bit is in there. There’s a lot of the modern Christian faith that isn’t supported by the text (and bits of the text that are widely ignored). Is the Bible the arbiter of what’s a myth? “The Earth is flat - it’s in the Bible!”

11 Likes

I looked at it again. Why did I look at it again?

There is no globally recognized precise taxonomic definition of what a tree is, either botanically or in common language. Trees are so designated through historical usage, and thus Joshua trees and palms are both trees, and bananas and papayas grow in trees. Because that’s what they are called, and the only real the distinction of what is & isn’t a tree is common usage.

Oppa, I see @Shuck scooped me on the banana trees!

5 Likes

After promoting this split brain explainer, repeatedly, over the past month, now you’re gonna tell me it’s a myth?!?

5 Likes

Yeah, although botanically speaking it’s an “herbaceous plant,” it’s not a tree if only using the most narrow botanical definition of tree. The banana fruit is also a berry…

2 Likes

Taxonomy is always controversial.

The Great Wall of China - a miracle of Chinese engineering. So big, you can see it from anywhere in the world.

3 Likes

Botanically speaking, the word “tree” is not part of any recognized formal taxonomy I know of. This is not a particularly controversial statement; I can’t find any disagreement with it anywhere on the Intertubes, for example, despite searching longer than it was really worth.

Therefore, since there is no accepted definition of tree other than folk categorization, which clearly names the banana tree a tree, it’s pretentious and absurd to retroactively declare that bananas, papayas, palms and Joshua trees aren’t “really” trees.

What’s happened here is that some chucklehead, possibly Linnaeus, tried to make a scientific description of trees, and the definition was invalid because it does not include the trees I just mentioned, and instead of accepting that this definition of tree was simply wrong and trying to make a better one, sycophantic admirers of the previously postulated chucklehead doubled down and declared that anything that didn’t fit their broken definition wasn’t a tree.

It’s as if Plato had proclaimed Diogenes’ chicken to be a man because he couldn’t bear to contradict Socrates; pseudo-intellectual claptrap.

3 Likes

It says “Adding a sprinkle of salt to fresh water makes no difference”, and that is correct. As it also correctly notes, it takes sea water levels of salt to get a change in boiling temperature. Even there that’s changing the boiling point to 102 degrees centigrade, an increase that’s unlikely to affect cooking times.

Thanks to Google Maps, the same is true of my house.

6 Likes

well… i’ve heard it affects the taste. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Like I said, bad wording. But the text to the icon says: “Salty water boils quicker - Adding a sprinkle of salt to fresh water makes no difference, huge sea level amounts do” This kind of implies that huge sea lever amounts actually make water boild quicker - and this is not the case.