Deceiving your friends is acceptable in this card game

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/09/deceiving-your-friends-is-acce.html

1 Like

Seems to me Diplomacy (which I haven’t played in many years) had this attribute. We called it “Diplomascrew.”

1 Like

Isn’t this true of all the best card games?

3 Likes

This is a terrific game. I believe there’s also a CSI reskin (which would make it one of the vanishingly few tv tie-in games that is any good.)

1 Like

In Diplomacy there are two types of other players, your enemies, and the people you are manipulating and preparing to stab in the back. =)

In Deception your dealt a role and there is only one player out to derail the game (or two if playing with the accomplice and witness option). It’s a bit more like Werewolf, but without the annoying player elimination aspect.

Diplomacy also very specifically has almost no required hidden information and no randomness in any of it’s game mechanics. Any deception, withholding information, or trickery is brought to the game by the players. Deception on the other hand has hidden roles, one role that can’t communicate with other players except in a very limited and regimented manner, and it requires the murderer to play against all other players interests.

Both games weigh heavily on social interactions and trying to identify who can and can’t be trusted, but Deception makes all those interactions very asymmetric which gives them a very different feel.

4 Likes

They have a kickstarter out now for an expansion pack

1 Like

So…to start out either Deception game or not, with a round of “I want loyalty. I expect loyalty.” between all players?

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.