Deepfaked pulp sci-fi covers

Originally published at: Deepfaked pulp sci-fi covers | Boing Boing

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure you are misusing the term deepfake.

9 Likes

“The Moon is Just Sunlight” is a fantastic name for a book.

@Arlo_Lyle I concur.

8 Likes

Shame he got the typography so wrong.

3 Likes

The algorithm certainly has its favorite things: Women’s names with middle initials, glowing red orbs.

2 Likes

I was drawn to “Green Glass is the Color of the Wind”. I think it’s the sequel to Quaritch’s “Thunder is always Chartreuse”, which left so many other authors envious.

3 Likes

I have to admit, the melty warped look of a lot of these AI-generated images when they hit poorly matched images does suit pulp sci-fi covers quite well. The off-putting uncanny valley effects and occasional lovecraftian blob-horror with too many mouths seen in the occasional https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/ face (or at the edges of those faces when the training data had multiple people in the base images) fits the genre perfectly.

7 Likes

I really want to read The Great Spacious now!

Who is Spacious, and how did achieve such greatness?

1 Like

I also noticed the abundance of women’s names, and applauded the AI’s desire to add diversity to the largely male-dominated pulp era.

3 Likes

Most of these are great titles, and I very much want someone to write all of these right now.

3 Likes

That there is quintessential 70’s sci-fi book typography. I think I have covers with the same types for all most all the examples.

1 Like

In similar combinations? They are (mostly) period relevant typefaces but some of the combinations of serif with serif or display with display does not ring true for me.

we want to zoom in on the artwork to see more detail, but of course we can’t, there isn’t any detail, just fractal blobs

No A.I. is an island, I suppose.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.