Department of Defense announces ambiguous and disquieting "All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office"

Originally published at: Department of Defense announces ambiguous and disquieting "All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office" | Boing Boing

6 Likes

In spite of the cool name, I’ll bet that what they actually do boils down to this.

severance-computer-numbers

2 Likes

In our brave new dystopian future, anyone who steps out of line will be labeled an “anomaly” and speedily “resolved”.

6 Likes

Can’t “like” that. It’s too terrifyingly close to possible.

7 Likes

I’m trying to come up with a example of a “transmedium object.” I’m picturing a crystal ball belonging to a clairvoyant whose gender identity is different than the one assigned to them at birth.

3 Likes

2 Likes

"Sci-Fi Author: In my book I invented the Torment Nexus as a cautionary tale

Tech Company: At long last, we have created the Torment Nexus from classic sci-fi novel Don’t Create The Torment Nexus"

4 Likes

Interesting that this is just a renamed and re-scoped version of the Pentagon’s existing UFO related: Airborne Object Identification and Management Group. Has someone at the DoD been watching too much Stranger Things and playing too many video games lately?

3 Likes

Those are supposed to be the UFO’s that zip through the air and then WHOOSH!! right into the ocean to their undersea hideouts.

4 Likes
1 Like

You know those people who can’t seem to accept reality, who look for the supernatural and esoteric answers when there’s perfectly good and reasonable non-woo explanations available? Who think aliens built the pyramids, who think there was an even more advanced culture than our own in ancient times that sank beneath the waves? That bigfoot got their sister pregnant? Some of them are in power, and insist their superstitions and insane troll logic be treated as real, and create offices like this. Hopefully it will be quietly staffed with people of no real use elsewhere, determined to be redundant with some other office, and equally quietly shut down and its budget moved to where it can do some good.

6 Likes

I, uh, I think that the impetus behind this one is a bit different from the others.

2 Likes

Either that, or they are a fan/contributor to the SCP Foundation.

2 Likes

Many people with no imagination whatsoever wield power, as well. I find them problematic, too.
ETA: words

3 Likes

Sounds like the office just down from Public Works in Night Vale…

3 Likes

I’m not saying it’s the X-Files, but it’s the X-Files.

4 Likes

Logically, I know they’re mostly just going to spend time identifying space junk and chasing birds away from DC airspace because they don’t have transponders, but still… If someone named Bowe gets involved I’m leaving the planet.

2 Likes

It reminded me of the Nature article about systems answers to (stumbly, addled, dyscardiac) aging.

Of course they need to go around dolling up experimental astrophysicists to give that Q actor a run for his money and fame, just so things in the world make sense.

Maybe they’ll have a person point to the words on the NYT in podunk towns so we can have an informed voting public again? (Subject to articles with reasonable theses…) Sort of go over state senate candidates’ names a few more times for similar reasons?

Sometimes they’ll have to introduce reasonable color and patterns to clothing if it all goes mid-black?

Good, paid, trans labor outreach.

3 Likes

Establishment of the office was congressionally mandated last year. I knew that the late Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid was big into the “let’s investigate UFOs” thing, but I had no idea that sitting senators had picked up this particular mantle.

1 Like

In the interests of holding my day together I’m going to work on the assumption that this is cover for the XCOM project; rather than some abject nonsense.

2 Likes