Derails in police violence threads

Continuing the discussion from El Cajon police say unarmed black man pointed vape at officer before he was shot to death:

You aren’t the only one who has done this, but you are a person who has done this in the past. You’re also a person that is generally reasonable and who I feel like I can disagree and point out stuff too and you don’t take it as a personal affront. I’d hope that if I was doing something that others might point it out, too.

You have not done it in a while, but here you did post a pretty lengthy post on an unrelated topic, when you could have just as easily spun that off with @LearnedCoward. Personally, I found the discussion of the technical details of different sorts of bullets and how they fire a bit insensitive considering the topic. I’m sure you didn’t mean it that way, none the less.

I realize that you have other interests and aren’t the only one who derails. We all do it - none of us are perfect of course. But I think considering the gravity of the topic, I’d to see discussions like this not even come up in the first place. It’s easy enough to spin off to a new topic, so why not do it.

As for the “I seem like your mom” comment… it felt like I was being dismissed as some old lady who just likes to nag. Again, I’m sure you didn’t mean it that way, but that’s how it came off.

But in general, I appreciate your contributions here and even though we often disagree politically, I find you a valuable community member. I hope you take my disagreement here in that light.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s like the gun fans are so caught up in their admiration of the things that they can’t contain it and have to express their technical knowledge then and there, that instant. Which would be fine at an appropriate place and time. Derailing a thread about the killing of a person, almost inevitably a black man, is so not the place and time for it.

11 Likes

Agreed… again, my intent wasn’t to shame @Mister44 or @LearnedCoward, but to ask them to take it elsewhere in general.

8 Likes

I think that it reasonable had it gone on longer than a few posts.

That is totally fair, and I actually forgot what I had wrote. I though I had written “I feel like when my mom…” (which was trying to convey what I was feeling.) But indeed I did say “You’re like my mom”, which you’re right, is uncalled for and I apologize. Like you said we don’t always agree on everything, but I still like how we are able to do so civilly for the most part and I like and respect you.

12 Likes

Okay. I disagree on the first point, obviously, but I understand your point. I’d like to see none of the posts on these issues of police violence get into topics like that, and I don’t think I’m the only one.

Thanks for the second part. It is much appreciated and there are no hard feelings at all.

I’m happy with this conclusion, frankly! This is how we work shit out, yeah?

11 Likes

To be perfectly honest:

I saw the “you sound like my mom” comment, and my first thought was: “Well, you sound like a kid that’s been told the exact same thing 30 times in a row, and yet you’re still doing it.”

There’s a time and a place for everything.

8 Likes

Hey! That’s…

…that’s hilarious, I don’t even care.

3 Likes

You ought to hear the thoughts I don’t share.

*lolz

6 Likes

This is why I spend time on this board.

3 Likes

Wait… it’s not for this?

5 Likes

Perhaps not every gun related tragedy thread is a good place to discuss technical details of the hardware used to generate the carnage.

We won’t all agree on what is appropriate when people are processing a tragedy in a shared space.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 138 days. New replies are no longer allowed.