Design your own font easily with Metaflop and Metafont

[Read the post]

1 Like

It’s making a font in much the same way that moving sliders around makes music in Garage band.

4 Likes

Apt critique for Metaflop but not Knuth’s Metafont, which is a legit typeface design language.

2 Likes

Fun and good enough for a lot of people and a lot of use cases?

1 Like

Apt critique for Metaflop but not Knuth’s Metafont, which is a legit typeface design language.

I don’t agree with Metafont’s first principle of pseudo-pen based behaviour as a basis for creating typographic shapes, but that can be and has been overcome, as Richard Southall’s work with Ladislas Mandel demonstrates.

With Metaflop it seems like you’re adjusting someone else’s design within parameters they’ve defined and I don’t see how those can be circumvented. There doesn’t seem to be a way to make a bold, or fiddle around with the join between the stem and the shoulder of n, let alone design something with an unconventional stress. It feels a narrow sandbox to play in, and that’s a pity.

1 Like

Fun, sure and if it gets more people interested in design, type or lettering: great

1 Like

So just like multiple master fonts then?

1 Like

Yeah, you couldn’t duplicate Calypso with it.

2 Likes

Highly tangential but a great read: Douglas Hofstadter’s essay on categories and creativity in Metamagical Themas that uses Metafont as a central line of evidence.

1 Like

Some might not be aware that Adobe Illustrator had its origins as Adobe’s in-house typeface design tool.

I read about this after having used Illustrator to make some crude custom letters for a project.

1 Like

Let’s give it a try!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.