'Détour,' the new film by 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' director Michel Gondry, was shot on a phone

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/24/detour-the-new-film-by.html

3 Likes

was i supposed to finish watching this because i didn’t. yeh, the technical aspects are all there but it’s boring to watch.

My French is a little rusty.

I’ve often loved Gondry’s style. But I still have a hard time forgiving him for Green Hornet.

4 Likes

Any links to your work?

1 Like

critique is always appreciated:

6 Likes

7 Likes

Based on the reviews of the app, I’ll never be able to use it to make a movie on my primitive iPhone SE. Ah well, guess I’ll find another way (just like life)!

1 Like

Proving it doesn’t matter what equipment you have access to - boring is boring. So instead of chasing that next expensive piece of equipment, just keep using what you have and get good with that. Anyone can buy stuff, few can create stuff others would buy.

Thanks, I loved it!

But then, I’ve long been a sucker for gondry’s busy playfulness.

5 Likes
8 Likes

I know, right?! :+1:

3 Likes

It’s not a direct homage, but that description puts me in mind of The Red Balloon.

3 Likes

I was pretty sure I saw a Sapranos homage in it.

1 Like

The Apple promo videos focus on the phone (and maybe the filmic Pro app?), but a lot of the secrets to the film are in the innumerable devices rented/bought to hold the camera still. That’s what makes it look like a proper film…and what I’d like to know.

4 Likes

i just noticed that the comments are disabled on youtube. what are they afraid of?

1 Like

Have you read any youtube comments before?

4 Likes

i was asking sarcastically. i know exactly why the comments are disabled. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

OH! Derp! Sorry!

1 Like

Yes, it reminded me a little of Pee-wee’s Big Adventure too!

1 Like